New Hardware Not Found!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

English_brit

Beta member
I've bought a Belkin Wireless Network with a built in modem\router. Own 3 computers. I managed to set up the router on one computer and install a network adapter card on another comp. They're both working well and can connect to the internet over the network now. :)

The problem came when I tried getting the other network adapter card to work in the 3rd computer.

I installed the software for the card first (which you have to do with this model) then fitted the adapter card in the free PCI slot.
The problem was as soon as the adapter card was fitted in the machine and then it was rebooted the computer would crash halfway through loading up Windows ME. It just didn't like the card.

I tried using the card from the machine that I knew already worked but had exactly the same problem so ruled out it being a faulty adapter card.

The computer was running Windows ME. I was hoping if I put XP on the system it might resolve the issue of the OS not liking the card.

I had taken out the card and uninstalled all the software then I installed XP onto the computer. I installed the card again. Under XP rather than crashing with the card inside the computer it just didn't find any new hardware. :(

I tried running the new hardware wizard but to no avail just didn't seem to think my card was even in the computer.

Any ideas as to what might be causing the problem?

probably needless to ask, but are you sure the card is properly fitted into the slot? take it out and examine the contacts of both the card and the slot. if it was not in properly after initially installing and then powered on, there is the chance a minor arcing occurred trying to make contact resulting in damage to card and/or mobo.

I see your point but I'm 99% sure that's not the problem.

I've installed the card in 3 seperate PCI slots in case it was a damaged slot and then when I tried the card that had worked in the other comp fine it had the same problem. :(

Did u check on your BIOS c whether got change any setting regarding the PCI.

No, I haven't looked at the BIOS yet. I don't really know too much about BIOS so any advice on what I should be looking when I have a look?

I'll double check to see if I can get a BIOS update to see if that solves it aswell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom