new hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

duncan

In Runtime
if you change some hardware, say an AGP card or PCI card do you have to change the settings in the bios or does the bios automatically recognise the hw - i was just trying to work out the difference in "add new hardware" in windows interface and the setting in the bios.

If you enter the BIOS, it will usually sense changes and save accordingly. So, just enter it, and then save and exit.

Add hardware simply installs drivers and allows windows to know what its working with. You should probably do both, just in case.

If you are upgrading from onboard graphics to a graphics card, you will need to disable the onboard graphics in BIOS.

Pretty much what beedubaya said, but if your gonna be using a slot, you will have to test it using drivers it came with, probably on a CD. Give that a try.

so - just to clarify - is it true that the BIOS can basically drive h/w but when you get into os level after the POST to use hardware full functionality you need more specific driver - or have i missed the point. I was just wandering how the BIOS knows about something that might be a really advanced component ie not just a monitor or keyboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom