New hardisk I got.. Did I get what i wanted?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghosty

Baseband Member
Hi all
I just got myself a new harddisk...I told the guy that the shop that I want one with 8mb buffer for my new harddisk. He gave me a Western Digital Carvier SATA and told me all SATA harddisk have 8mb buffers. But I went to look around and found there are those with non 8mb buffers..

erm how can I check if my is the right one with 8mb buffers? is there really a big difference in the speed in the difference of the buffers?
I went to check on my computer(in device manager) and all the model number of the harddisk is WDC WD2000JD-00GBB0 SCSI disk device

Yes, there is a performance difference.
Yes, different drives (including ones within the same mf) can have different buffers. It's a product feature.
You find out what your buffer is by either A: looking at the box, or B: searching the mf website for that drives model number, or C: some drives have it in the specs on the label on the drive.

Well I am staying in australia now and I got it for like $200 bucks Aussie..

Mine is the 200GB one.. and ya i think I got the right one rookie1010. BUt no I think there are 2mb cache version of the 200 GB one..not sure about the 160GB ones though

kool, you got 8 mb
is it internal or external

i was wondering how does cache help in a hard disk, i understand the concept of cache for processors, not for hard disks though

u mean the hdd? its internal...

I think it works the same way ? but the differences between price of the 2mb and the 8mb buffer don't seem much though..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom