New hard drive problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

katerpillar

Beta member
Hi there. I have just cobbled a computer together from two broken ones - I've pinched a hard drive from the one with a busted power supply and a random blue-screen issue, and put it in the one with a busted hard drive. I then ran the Windows 98 boot disk and it's running - it just updated the version of Windows that was already there.

The problem is, Device Manager says I have no drivers for the following:

PCI Ethernet Controller
PCI Multimedia Audio Device
PCI System Management Bus
PCI USB

Without these I can't get on the network and I have terrible resolution on my display - I don't know what other hidden issues there may be!

My best guess is that I should reformat the hard drive and start again.

Is this my only option? If so, is there any info I should write down now before wiping it?!

Yeah, definately sounds like your mobo drivers haven't been installed.

If this is a fresh install of windows, then reformatting won't make any difference.
If it isn't, and drive is from another machine, then reformatting & doing a fresh install would be a good idea anyway but still doesn't solve your driver problem.

Look on the mobo itself - there should be the manufacturers name & model number printed on it. Use this to download the relevant drivers.

Displaced win98 installations by moving a hard drive have never worked well for me. Win98 is a dirty OS to begin with. It's hard to know if you've removed all of the old hardware information. Also, win98 is not very good about a handling a change in hardware unless you first uninstall the old drivers. While you need to download the correct drivers for your hardware, you should still format and reinstall a fresh copy of win98.

You need to hit up the mobo manufacturer website and download their available drivers for that board.

Burning them to a CD would basically be you're only choice to get it over to that broken computer unless you have a spare NIC card with drivers that you can throw in there to get it accessible to the internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom