New Hard Drive Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadAndy

Solid State Member
I just got a new Western Digital 160GB HDD, i m using it as a secondary drive since i already have a 80GB HDD already on my P4.
Got it up and running, partitioned it into 2 drives, and it seems to work fine, but then whenever I download a large file onto the new HDD or move a large file to the new HDD, or even extracting an RAR file that i have on the new HDD, it lags like hell, and even make some the my programs not work and almost froze the comp...or just moving very very slow?

can anyone tell me whats the problem? did i install it wrong or something? but it is working, and i can move small files into it no problem either, but those big files is lagging bad...help!!!

i would guess it is something related to the operating system or a hardware resource conflict, or a combo of both. do you see any yellow warnings in device manager? i had a hard disk do this once and it was caused by bad dvd codecs hanging the hard disk too long until i hard rebooted.

it physically damaged the hard disk, the performance dropped noticeabley. you also could have a bad disk. you can double check by putting the drive in another computer for testing, you would narrow down the cause of your problem a lot.

what is DMA?
i am using IDE ATA hard drive
is cable select bad? is using master and slave better?

btw, i just tried burning something i have on the new hard drive and it was using up a lot more buffer than when i was burning things on the old hard drive. Which isnt supposed to happen i suppose.

anyways, my comp is a P4 1.8Ghz, 512MB DDR, my old HD is a 80GB seagate and the new 160GB is a western digitial, i m using Win XP Pro with SP1

just checked something, my new HDD is running on PIO, but i already set it to "DMA if available", but its still running in PIO, how do i change it to DMA mode, which would solve my problem...i think

go to device mgr-chose disk drives-choose the secondry drive-go to properties-chnge the mode from pio->dma

i dont see a place to change the mode there, but in the IDE/ATA controller place, i can change it, but it wont change, even after i set it to "DMA if available", its still PIO, even though the HDD is ATA/100.

alright, i went into BIOS and got a few things fixed, now my HDD works fine
thx for all who has helped!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom