New hard drive help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

harrishcris

Solid State Member
Hello,
I purchased a new hard drive the other day, a Seagate ST3160021A Barracuda 160GB 7200rpm 2MB Cache.

I connected it all up and installed windows and the usual programs. But then I started to realise it was going very slowly e.g. Opening windows and when I play an online game, whenever I minimised it then got it back up again, it would go jolty for about 1 min then go back to normal.

So I decided to over clock my CPU to 1.73gig, but it didn't make any difference and it was still very bad. So now I am on my old hard drive because I couldn't stand the new one. I'm a bit suck because I am not sure if my CPU is too slow for the big hard drive? Or weather the hard drive is faulty?

Many thanks

Chris Harris

P.S My pc spec is:
512mb DDR400 PC3200 Cl2.5 Memory Module
Western Digital Caviar 80Gb 7200rpm EIDE Hard Drive
Geforce 4 64MB graphics card
AMD Athlon XP2400 266 FSB 256 Cache Thoroughbred
Sony 48x24x48x16x IDE DRIVE (COMBO)
MSI KT4AV-L SKT A 8X AGP DDR/Sound/lAN/USB2.0 Motherboard
400W PSU

No, your system isnt too slow for that hard drive. Did you install any drivers from seagate for that drive? The drive is partitioned, formated, and assigned a driver letter, right? I dont see how a new drive could slow your oc down, did you install it correctly?

hmmm. it would seem that u may need to add ram but seeing that u already have 512 mb that may not be the problem.
Check and make sure ur drivers for seagate are installed if u got any.
What OS are u using?

Well, i think so lol. I partitioned it, formated all the partitions and assigned a driver letter. I didn't download any drives for it though, but i'm downloading something now. Will go and see if it works
Many thanks
Chris Harris

Try the drivers. That is a slow hard drive because of the 2mb cache, but it should not be that slow.

Why is your 2400 clocked at 1.73? The stock for a 2400 is 1.93. I doubt that is your problem though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom