New CPU for current computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

35g700

rustle rustle
My current desktop computer is old, and needs a new CPU (look at sig for specs... Motherboard is ASUS P4P800-E) It is socket 478 and is completable with the Prescott core for Pentium 4. I went to Pricewatch | Find lower prices on computer hardware, laptops, computer parts and electronics to find the cheapest Pentium 4 for clocked at least at 2.8GHz. I found one here STARMICRO INC. - Detail for $40, and I found another one clocked at 3.0GHz for $55... Now I don't have much money (as I am only in highschool) So I was wondering should I get the $40 one and overclock it to make it equal? or should I just get the $55 one? And what are oppinions on STARMICRO INC. - Home Page starmicro And last what kind of new heatsink should I get, or should I just keep the same one that I have for my Celeron 1.7GHz?

I have to agree with Clown on this. Save the money and get a new system. 478 CPU's are old and cant do much. You can get a decent AMD mobo and CPU dual core for not much more than you are spending now.

Not bad, maroon1, not bad at all.

I assume that the GFX card being used is AGP due to the age of the CPU. Depending on the size of the case (mATX or ATX) here are a couple of AGP options:
mATX: Newegg.com - Foxconn 661GX7MJ-H LGA 775 SiS 661GX Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
ATX: Newegg.com - ASRock 4CoreDual-SATA2 LGA 775 VIA PT880 Pro/PT880 Ultra ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

The ATX board will run up through a Quad, and can use DDR or DDR2, so the present RAM would work in it. it is definitely worth the extra $20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom