New computer won't Turn on!AT ALL

Status
Not open for further replies.

pele_smk

Solid State Member
I got the computer on while on tech support with chaintech. WE put the oem heatsink on and started with screw driver. It came on. I shut it down and returned the Thermalright hs to its home. THen computer went back to its original state. Stuck off. I really wanted this thing running tonight so I put the oem back on. Then it won't do jack either. I'm assuming the problem is a cpu seating problem. I have already rmad this mobo for crooked led's and rma'd the cpu last week because of this same problem, so the problem may actually lie in the seating of the cpu itself. Right now I have the mobo on a piece of cardboard to make sure it's not grounding out. I'm using a 400watt DURO psu which I'm suspecting to be the problem now. What do you think? Remember only think installed on the mobo is the cpu and hs. NO memory or video card. I just want to see some fans moving. I get a jolt from teh fans, which I have read is just the normal ATX thing. When I short the power on jumpers I get a "TSS" sound and the fan jump. HELLLLPPP MEEE PLLEEEAASE!!!

This might sound crazy, but it's worked many times for me.

Unplug the Power Supply from all componants in your machine.
Press the ON button a couple of times.
Plug the power supply back in
Then turn on.

See if that fixes the problem

Next, change the power supply over.

Update with new power supply

Ok I went and spent fricking $90 on a ps today. I got home and pluged her in. I get movement on every fan. After a couple minutes the heatsink even gets hot!!! Unfortunately I'm not getting a POST. No beeps or anything. I hear a lot of very small "ticks" coming from a small black thing on the bottom of mobo. I should at least get some loud beeps. So there is still something wrong.

I know everything is set up right. But the newest update is I burnt the cpu. After all this nonsense. I started getting desperate. With the new ps I just left it going for about 2 minutes with the original hs and fan on. I wasn't getting a beep so I just let it go so I could see if the hs was getting hot. It was. i took the heatsink off to check it out and the cpu has a little burn spot on the bottom. This is the final straw. AMD SOCKET A BLOWS CHUNKS. I have built numerous computers. Both socket 370 and slot A. THis chipset is the ****iest out there. I'm guessing that the first cpu I sent back wasn't burnt at all, but was just not making good contact. Which was the problem with this one. Im frickin pissed!! I alread had to rma the last mobo because of a crooked LED on the front drive bay thingy that came with it. I also rma'd the cpu that came with that, because it ran for about 2 days, then I started playing a video game for about 4 minutes and it died out. Maybe that crappy AMD hs blows chunks. So now I'll try and rma this one, which is definately dead. I still get movement in the fans and everything, but no beeps. I wish I could switch to intel!!! Unfortunately I have an AMD mobo, because my hs is Intel and AMD compatible. If any one ever asks me which is better I'm going to say INTEL!!! I was a huge AMD fan up until now. I'm not a newbie at all. I know how ot clear cmos and make sure my stuf isn't grounded. This is just a bad combo. Chaintech and AMD. I talked to thermalright and he said this series of chipsets(socket A) is having problems with the exposed core being a little high or a little short. DAMMIT get the thing right. If anyone had a similar problem and solved it please tell me how. I have both a clip on hs and a screw in heatsink. Neither worked. I didn't even get a complete rectangle imprent from teh hs being pressed on teh cpu. So It wasn't user end error. It was a crappy chip and hs combo. OR even the mobo sock was a little tweaked. I don't know. I'm not working for AMD so I can't say I can make it better. Well I'm going on and on about this. SO I'm out. Guess I'll have to wait another 2 weeks to get my new cpu in. RMA this one and wait for the next. I hope the rma this damn thing. They probably know my name by heart after all the crap I have rma'd since christmas. Also, I bought this stuff from NEWEGG I really like newegg, but This has been a pretty sketchy set of products I recieved. I know newegg only sells the stuff so I can't say it's newegg.

even if the fan was not spinning it is not likely the CPU would be fried if you installed the heatsink properly. did you even use any thermal paste on the CPU die because to me it sounds like you did not.

of course

Of course I used thermal paste. I had arctic silver 5 on the thermalright, and used the stock thermal pad on the oem one. After I took the oem hs off I replaced there heatpad with some arctc silver. After I took the hs off teh first time, it no longer worked, I'm suspecting that might have been when it burned out. Because after I removed the oem thermal pad, I'm not even getting an imprint in the thermal paste, which means there definately is space in between hs and cpu. And yes I installed the hs properly. I kinda suspect it would be hard to incorrectly install the hs. If you did you would most likely get a cracked core or something of that nature, not so much not getting any contact. Also on my mobo if I put the hs on backwards you can see where it doesn't make contact so there is only one right way of which I'm sure I'm using.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom