New Computer Won't Power Up - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 01:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default New Computer Won't Power Up

Dear All,

Got all the parts for building a new computer today. I assembled it and powered it on. All the fans come on (except the graphics card fans) but that's it. No beeps, nothing on the monitor. It contains:

1GB (2x512MB) Corsair Twinx 3200
Athlon 64 3200+
Gigabyte GA-K8VNXP
Asus V9980 Ultra 256MB
GlobalWin 520Watt PSU

Please help, it's just sitting there like an abandoned baby.... poor thing.

Many thanks,

Nick

PS: I've tried clearing the BIOS and all it changed were the LEDs on the RAM. All the light came on (green, orange and red) and then after a few seconds just 2 green LEDs stay on.

Old 04-21-2004, 02:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

Make sure your processor works with the RAM you have- im sure it does but just check it.

The next thing to do is look for the jumpers on your motherboard. I have an intel board but im sure there is a jumper on the motherboard. If you find any post again and i will go from there.

I had this problem when i got my 2.6 with radeon 9800 and i had to change the jumper on my board to like a boot mode and then when i booted it up it ran some checks and than i turned it off and changed it back and then it worked.

--------------------------
Old 04-21-2004, 02:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Many thanks for your suggestions.

The RAM situation should be fine, I checked it before I bought it and it is compatible. Anyway I've tried it without the RAM also and still the same situation.

No luck with the jumpers. There are no FSB jumpers. I think you are referring to the CMOS jumpers. I don't have them, all I have are 3 contacts where there is normally 3 pins sticking up for the CMOS settings. I've shorted the necessary contacts (1-2) with a screwdriver and still no luck.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Nick
Old 04-21-2004, 03:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Right, I've done loads of stuff and I'm actually getting beeps now! It's a beep that lasts for 1 second with a 5 second pause then the same beep and the same gap, this repeats constantly.

Any ideas what this beep code means? I couldn't find it on the web.

Many thanks,

Nick
Old 04-21-2004, 04:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Hi MicroBell,

Thanks for your suggestions. I have tried removing it from the case as well as playing around with the RAM configurations. I also tried RAM from another computer and no change.

How would I update the bios if I can get anything to post? I'll try the other cmos contacts (2-3) and see if anything happens for me there.

Many thanks,

Nick
Old 04-21-2004, 06:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Use the onboard graphic card and see. I have had some problems with an uncompatible graphic card. When I removed it, it worked