Status
Not open for further replies.

nadawg217

Beta member
Specs: (2 month old Dell)
P4 2.2 512 Cache
512 RAM
80G HD

I haven't downloaded any new programs, and the machine is horribly slow. Any ideas or solutions?
thanks in advance

Give it a thorough spyware scan using Sypbot S&D, Ad-Aware. And make sure you have a virus scanner.

Also check your computer for any programs that shouldnt be running. Try MSCONFIG.

That is generally the best idea. There is so much junk and useless crap on pre-built comps its not even funny. If I were you as soon as I got it out of the box I would get all the drivers and crap ready and just format and re-install. That is the best idea. You could try regedit or msconfig to check to see what programs are starting up when the computer boots but I promise you it will be very confusing since you didnt install any of the crap and its all in foreign directory locations and generally a big hassle. Also; if you format it and reinstall XP, enable the built-in XP firewall (unless you have a router) since it isnt enabled by default.

Formatting works but it would be nice to trouble shoot the problem somewhat & see what's causing this problem:confused:
If ya got the Patience;)

Dude, one big problem is it's a Dell. Not that Dell's are bad, it's the fact that the preloaded software makes beautiful Dell PCs run like freaking 10 year old emachines. Format it, reinstall XP, and get a nice video card.

BxSlipSk8718 said:
chuck that shizer its intell buy a AMD system :-D
still bashing Intel, you do know that in the benchmarks P4's performed better than AMD Athlon XP's (in fair tests, 2.5GHZ verses 2500+ and same spec PC's); they are more expensive, but not by much now.

now with the slow problem, I think it has been settled now, format, reinstall everything (including drivers) and if you got Norton with it, ditch it for a fast, and effective antivirus program like AntivirXP or AVG - now I'm not against norton, but I find it is always slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom