New computer not starting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zipp080

Baseband Member
Today I built an amd64 3000+. Well I've never built a computer before but I'm not a total newbie. Anyways, Everything is plugged in, and I go to hit the power button on the case and nothing happens. When I plug in the power supply to the wall, I hear a quiet but high pitched squeel. And thats all that happens. No fans spin, the heatsink fan doesnt spin. Nothing. Is there something noticably wrong here?

Also I brought it over to a friends thats pretty new as well, and we plugged in his 350w power supply to my motherboard and after about 4-5 times of switching it on and off, the power supply blew up a big blue spark.

Here are my specs and hardware that I am using,

ASUS k8t800 mobo
amd 64 3000+
corsair select 512 mb ddr
Linkworld case with a 400w power supply

Is there by any chance that I didnt put in the processor right? Like I put too much thermal paste on it? I put a very thin layer though so I don't think thats it.

It cost 65$ to have a tech look at it, so Id like to try and fix it myself. Could it be a defected motherboard? Defected proccessor?

All I know is that nothing works or spins when I turn the system on. And when I plug in the power supply cable into the wall theres that quiet high pitched squeel for about 2 seconds and stops as if it just started up or something.

I am really not seeing how thermal paste would cause the computer to not start unless you put it on the pins itself, in which case you probably blew your motherboard and processor, if you put it on top then all it does is form a tight seal between your heatsink and cpu dye. I am also not sure that 350 watts will be enough power for that 64 bit processor. Also, having it blow blue sparks is also not a good thing, you might want to check into a bigger power supply. If you hit the power button on your computer and absolutely nothing happens at all then that means its your power supply. If you have an old motherboard hook up the power supply to that and plug in a case fan, turn on the power and see if the fan spins, if it does then the power supply works and it might just not be enough for your new system, if nothing happens then you know that is your problem. I am going to say its something with the power from what you are discribing, good luck.

Did you use the motherboard risers? They are little gold things that look similar to screws. They will screw into your case, then you set the motherboard up on them and screw your motherboard into the risers. They should have both female and male ends. It's a common mistake to not use them.

Yeah, well thats one thing I didn't do. Is there any chance that I blew the whole motherboard for not doing that? Or will it all still work fine if I put them in?

If you don't use risers you'll most likely short out your board. It's very possible to damage/destroy your board like this.

Everywhere i've read, a 350watt powersupply is not adequate power for your processor.

His motherboard should be fine. I did the same thing when I built my first computer. I had an Asus A7V8X-X at the time. I simply unplugged everything, took out all the components, and then installed the risers. Once I got everything back in she started up immediately.

take out your mobo and lay it on your antistactic bag with everything still hooked up and try to boot it up to check for shorts. also my last computer I built my memmory chip wasnt in all the way even though it snapped in it still wasnt seted properly and it also made a little high pitched noise when trying to boot.But my fans started for a sec before shutting down.Just some thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom