New Computer Build Question Video Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

mathwizard314

Solid State Member
Hey guys,
Just recieved the parts for a new computer I'm building for a buddy of mine, and I've plugged them all in as usual; however, when I turn on the screen, I can't get anything to show up. The motherboard is getting power as all of the fans work, I can hear the hard drive spinning, etc, and I've tried different video cards (his natively runs a PCI express 6600 GT, but I've also tried an AGP card in the board, and neither will display an image). What am I doing wrong? Do you think the motherboard was DOA? The specs of the system are below. I'm about to my wits end with this - any help would REALLY be appreciated. Also, whenever I was first putting in the processor, I stuck in the processor, put the heatsink on, and then realized that I forgot to use the processor clamp thing (where you lift the bar, insert the processor, then lower the bar). So I removed the heatsink from the processor, took out the processor, did the correct procedure with the bar, adn then reattached the heatsink - would this have caused problems? Thank you in advance very much for replies!

Thanks!!

He's got an AMD Athlon64 3000+ socket 939.
BioStar motherboard
1024 MB of Corsair PC3200 DDR (2 x 512)
80 gig WD hard drive
350 Enermax power supply (i've tried other power supplies too)
Leadtek 6600GT PCI Express video card

i think it may just be your psu casue i know that a 6600gt taek like more then 200 psu up. plus the fans and otehr stuff its jsut to weak.

well i've tried another psu (a 520 watter i think), and it still did the same thing? i'm not sure that it was a 520 watter that i tried though, so do you think it may be beneficial to swap in another one just to check? thanks!

Just took off the CPU fan/heatsink, and discovered that one pin is badly bent and another is broken off? Please don't tell me I'm screwed.... :(

You may have seen my former post about video display problems - well, I figured out it had to do with the CPU. Two pins broke off of it. However, I plugged it in correctly this time to the motherboard and it appears as if the computer is starting as it should? Is it fine then? Is the processor going to be slow since it has two pins missing? Before I stuck the processor back in, I put two metal wires into the empty holes where the missing pins would have been placed. The BIOS is detecting the processor properly and it's formatting the hard drive as we speak.

My question is - is the processor ok and is this safe? Is the performance going to be hindered by missing two pins? Thank you for your assistance!

mathwizard314 said:
Just took off the CPU fan/heatsink, and discovered that one pin is badly bent and another is broken off? Please don't tell me I'm screwed.... :(

Yep your screwed. sorry :( but you are. you are going to have to get a new one dude. if the cpu is losseing a pin yep it would work. your going to have to get a new one. How did you manger to do this.

hey dark sniper - yep, i thought i was screwed too, but maybe it is going to work? (please read the post right before your last one and let me know ur thoughts) thanks!

ok well i was typing that up um... i dont know if its that safe dude i really think there is a chance that your computer will fry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom