new comp wont boot - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 08:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to benzimm86
Default new comp wont boot

I just built a new computer and when i first turned it on, all it did was display an intel screen. It says on the screen near the bottom, "BIOS Settings: F2" but when you hit F2 it doesnt go into the bios. Then on one of the reboots it did not turn on at all, the fans would not spin, nothing would happen. I found out that some how it was being grounded by the case. Then i restarted and still got the intel screen and it would hang there. I reset the bios, with the jumper and pulling out the battery. After pulling the battery i got a message saying Bios time/date not correct. I rebooted and was actually able to go into the bios. I set that stuff and then after leaving the bios it restarted and now i am back to just the intel screen with out being able to enter the bios again. Everything on the computer is brand new. Any Ideas?

Old 07-29-2005, 09:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default Re: new comp wont boot

Quote:
Originally posted by benzimm86
I just built a new computer and when i first turned it on, all it did was display an intel screen. It says on the screen near the bottom, "BIOS Settings: F2" but when you hit F2 it doesnt go into the bios. Then on one of the reboots it did not turn on at all, the fans would not spin, nothing would happen. I found out that some how it was being grounded by the case. Then i restarted and still got the intel screen and it would hang there. I reset the bios, with the jumper and pulling out the battery. After pulling the battery i got a message saying Bios time/date not correct. I rebooted and was actually able to go into the bios. I set that stuff and then after leaving the bios it restarted and now i am back to just the intel screen with out being able to enter the bios again. Everything on the computer is brand new. Any Ideas?
I have an Intel motherboard and have found that it gets hung on that screen if:

any of your ATA/ATAPI devices are jumpered incorrectly, or the IDE or power cables aren't secure.

I also have a CD and a CD-R on one of my IDE controllers, set as master and slave. The CD-R (slave) went bad and it was getting hung up until I disconnected it.

A+ Certified

Studying for Network+
Old 07-29-2005, 09:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to benzimm86

thanks dude that was the problem the floppy cable was not tight. we are now up and installing
thermaltake volcano 12
1 gig ddr pc2100
thermaltake purepower 420w psu
dvd-rw
audigy 2 platinum sound card
Old 07-29-2005, 09:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by benzimm86
thanks dude that was the problem the floppy cable was not tight. we are now up and installing
Glad I could help

A+ Certified

Studying for Network+
Closed Thread