new CD drive not visible - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 06:59 PM   #21 (permalink)
Beer

Send a message via AIM to Calzinger

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;314060

I really don't suppose that that will help you, but maybe. After installing Alcohol 120% on my computer, my DVD burner drive would disappear after restarting. Obviously it messed up some registry and that link fixed it for me. Since your drive is brand newly inserted, there could be a host of other problems.

Old 06-22-2005, 08:49 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by tarantulatarama
sorry shoob, I'm not a 'virgin techie' (how do I change this?!)
Well, that depends on what you want it to do. You see, there's various levels of users, based on how many posts you have. Everyone starts out as a virgin techie. As you get more posts, yer user type changes.
You can also directly edit yours to say something else, in your profile setup, but if you do this, the text you put in will no longer change as your post-count increases.

Quote:
Which slot - the physical space the drive occupies? nothing else.
So yer laptop had just an empty slot? You didn't have a drive in there before? Hmm.

Anyway, you said the light's coming on and it's spinning when a disk gets put in, so I doubt the drive is hosed. Make sure that:

1. The drive is the correct kind of drive for your particular laptop.
2. That the Windows hardware search doesn't find it. If it does find it, yer on track.

-----------------------------------------------
Don\'t hate the player...Hate the game...
Old 06-23-2005, 02:56 PM   #23 (permalink)
Junior Techie

hmm: dos doesn't see the drive. there is also no 'new hardware blah blah dialogue'. Like the lights are on buit no noe's at home. Literally - the light is on (disc spins etc. so there's power) but no disc reading.... a bust disc drive?!?!?!??

Still haven't had drivers sent, BUT if the computer doesn't register a new bit of hardware then something is awry.

thoughts?
<font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif\" color=\"#3B81C7\">2.4 GHz pentium 4, 768MB RAM, 64MB NVIDIA graphics, 40GB HDD, (nearly) TEAC CDRW, winXP sp2, 1400 x 1000 display.</font>
Old 06-23-2005, 04:20 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master Techie

Quote:
hmm: dos doesn't see the drive. there is also no 'new hardware blah blah dialogue'. Like the lights are on buit no noe's at home. Literally - the light is on (disc spins etc. so there's power) but no disc reading.... a bust disc drive?!?!?!??

Still haven't had drivers sent, BUT if the computer doesn't register a new bit of hardware then something is awry.

thoughts?
Two things spring to mind:

1. See if there's a firmware update for the drive.

2. Get the model number for the drive, and see what you can dig up about it in relation to your laptop. You can even try contacting your laptop maker and discuss the matter.

If the drive is spinning and operating, then I doubt the drive is bad. There's a miscommunication going on between the drive and your laptop. This is where you must look for the solution.

-----------------------------------------------
Don\'t hate the player...Hate the game...
Old 06-23-2005, 07:23 PM   #25 (permalink)
Junior Techie

yeah still no response from drive manufacturers about drivers, I'll call them again.

Laptop maker braindead (box sellers - time computers. 'ner, ner, ner, we don't support this, that, yadda yadda')

tx
<font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif\" color=\"#3B81C7\">2.4 GHz pentium 4, 768MB RAM, 64MB NVIDIA graphics, 40GB HDD, (nearly) TEAC CDRW, winXP sp2, 1400 x 1000 display.</font>
Old 06-26-2005, 02:45 AM   #26 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by ShoobieRat
What the person probably meant was that Windows would have a driver for it, thus you wouldn't need a CD or disk with the drivers.

I know this is a super late response (I've been away) but did you read the sentence after the one you quoted?

If the light is on for the CD drive but the OS is not reading it, it most likely means that there is a driver conflict. If it hasn't been fixed yet...

Did you try finding drivers here:

http://www.driverguide.com/

There are some CD224E drivers here (for different OS versions) but I'm not sure if they work:

http://www.cdrom-drivers.com/companies/1030.htm

Closed Thread