Never fails...does it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus

Daemon Poster
...finally got my OS. Installed most o' the software stuff that came w/my mobo and vid. card. The only thing that I FORGOT to install was...well I can't remeber, but I do know that It was probably something important (possibly the drivers for the vid. card) because when I power up, and I get to the desktop, this little messase window pops up and i't something about no ATI driver detected/installed. A few seconds later, it locks up, and I gotta shutdown and restart the hard way (ctrl+alt+del doesn't work). My CPU runs at like 52 C. I can't see any other problems. How can I solve this problem? Someone PLZ answer, 'cause I've waited like 2 years for this and now it doesn't work!!!!:( :( :( :( :( :(

go into safe mode and set your primary display adater as "standard PCI adapter/VGA" .. and no it doesn't matter that you have AGP, this is a default generic setting. after that, may want to goto the ATI web site and get there driver cleaning software and run that.. THEN reinstall the drivers. (oh yeah, u should be able to boot into normal mode from safe mode after setting it to standard PCI graphics adapter VGA), the screen will look like crap, though, until the real ATI drivers are installed.

1. how do i go into safe mode? do u mean the bios or what?
2. don't have internet access but will try ur first thing.

hold F10(i think) during boot. if its not F10 try 11 or 12, pritty shur its 10 though.

it will come up with a prompt asking u if u wont normal or safe.

yeah I believe it's F8 too, lol jolancer . What kind of motherboard do you have? You may not have installed the drivers for the AGP slot itself if you can't remember what drivers you installed. It would say something to the effect of 'Drivers for AGP 3.0' but even with no ATI drivers installed it shouldn't lock your system up, it should just default to 800x600

My FX5700 would cause my system to lock up at boot....was the ASUS motherboard I had. When I got my MSI it worked like a charm so perhaps its a weird mobo incompatibility like I had. When was the last time you've formatted because if you do any major hardware changes and its been a while since you've formatted that can cause issues. Did you happen to go from an nvidia card to an ATI or did you have an ATI originally or onboard video? If you have onboard video you need to go into your BIOS and disable that. If you had had an nvidia based card previously you need to get rid of the drivers that are still lurking in your system. If you have no internet connect how are you posting :confused: You need to get Nvidia Detonator I believe is what its called to completely clean out any remaining nvidia drivers. AGEX should be able to tell you the ATI equivelant of cleaning out drivers if you went from an ATI to an upgraded ATI.

I think it is a compatibility problem, Nubius, because I booted up and was quick enough to put the CD in and try instailling th drivers. I eventually came up w/a message that it has not passed the windows logo test. Windows strongly recomends that you see the vendor for a Windows logo passed CD/drive/something like that. How do I install the Drivers for the AGP slot? A CD or what? We have 2 comps. old AMD and mine. Mine doesn't have internet but the other does. My spec are in my sig. Brand new built comp. Whats on there is the first. Never used nVidia. Don't have onboard vid. I haven't touched the hard drive. Lastly, is it F8 or F10,11, and 12? Do I hold it down throughout booting up?

Ha! It STILL freezes up on me!!!!! Even in Safe Mode!!! ooooooo this is SO anoying.

Check for bios updates for your motherboard.Look over your manual make sure your settings are correct for your AGP card
Primary VGA BIOS = PCI VGA card. Check to make sure everything is seated properly in the slots.V-card,Mem etc...
It shouldnt be locking up .What Operating System are you running?

apprehend the reverse tradtional format of manifesting each motherboard to its full capacity (s-cast).

Yeah...put it in english cause I doubt he'll know what you meant.

Regulus...the drivers for your AGP slot are on the same CD that have the drivers for your entire motherboard...you need to know where your motherboard drivers are. F8 should be your key for safemode but I think you already got that. Sounds basically like you got the same trouble as me bud =/ Wound up having to get a new mobo. Put the card in the other machine you have and see if it works. BTW I had an ASUS board too and my FX5700 wouldn't work in it....got an MSI board and it works just fine.....you are like the 3rd person thats had an ASUS board that won't work with a graphics card. If your other machine has an ASUS board and it freezes...then my personal opinion that ASUS SUCKS ASS still holds true. If you could somehow obtain another motherboard or if your old AMD has a different mobo try it in there. Then you'll know its your mobo. I had an ASUS board and for whatever the hell reason my FX5700 would just cause the system to lockup right at the startup. Put it in my friends older computer with a brand named mobo called 'AZZA' (anyone actually hear of that cause I haven't) and it worked in his system just fine.

My final conclusion: Probably your mobo :/ I got an MSI KT6V and at zipzoomfly.com its only like $50-$60 about all I can suggest. Trust me I did EVERYTHING to troubleshoot my computer when that happened.

Updated bios, updated drivers, formatted like 5 times and tried installing the drivers in different combinations like..first the card THEN the motherboard, then I'd format and try the motherboard drivers THEN the card, then I'd try it without internet, in another computer, switched out PSU's, basically a week of hell just to come to the conclusion I had to get a new mobo. I'm gonna say thats probably what it is.

I've said it once and I'll say it again. I don't care what any of you say ASUS SUCKS and they are going down hill as far as good motherboard makers are concerned. Support is terrible unless you can speak taiwanese. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom