Networking Problem :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbreaction

Solid State Member
Hey well my friend just got a new Dell XPS and he set it all up and all then when he went to plug in the network cable to the linksys router and it can't connect to the internet.

Ok this is where is gets tricky there are 2 other computers on the network and they can get on to the internet useing the same router. BUT all computer can ping and share files between each other (inlcuding the new XPS).

So the XPS can talk to the other computers and ping them fine but it can't ping the router and get on the internet even thought its going through the router to talk to the other computers.

So if you have any suggestions it would be helpful.

Mark

Well these are long shots but they may work

1: Turn off all computers except the hell. If the hell can now ascess the internet your router just doesnt like the volume of computers

2: Make sure any hell installed firewall is off, and windows firewall is off

3: Check to see under start > control panel > network connections > doubble click LAN > support > details and post up that info

make sure the "hell" machine if its using a static ip for the LAN subnet has the gateway set correctly and any DNS #'s from ISP that it needs

may have to telnet into or administrate the router itself, some allow http config remotely, if so, check and make sure its setup for the new connection if it has to be

horndude said:
make sure the "hell" machine if its using a static ip for the LAN subnet has the gateway set correctly and any DNS #'s from ISP that it needs

may have to telnet into or administrate the router itself, some allow http config remotely, if so, check and make sure its setup for the new connection if it has to be

You havnt had to telnet into residential in a looooooooooong time, only on the real expensive ones now.

This is out of the box, so it will be using dynamic right out of the box and not static.

Also make sure your TCP/IP protocol is installed. For some reason, it is not always installed by default.

start> Control Panel> Network Connections

Right click on the Local Area Connection, go to Properties.

Click on 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)'

If the Install button under that becomes active (not greyed out) than it is not installed and you merely have to click install to install it. After that, it should work.

well i dont need to install the tcp/ip and the router is giving out the right ip , gateway, and DNS servers but when i go over there i will try a external USB network card and try to turn off every computer modem and router in the house and try again hopefully that will work cause if it doesn t i dotn know what to do .

contact your dsl service and ask for the proper dns settings just input them in the properties of your lan connection and your ready to go surfing

Did you have a signal, just no internet connectivity? Is this by chance a Wireless connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom