network card stops working

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekÆsine

Fully Optimized
first off, thank you to all that helped me with my last question on mixing DDR memory. i appreciate the info very much.

i'll describe my problem in detail so please have patience:
I have a linksys LNE100TX Ver.42 network card installed in one of my computers running winXP. It will suddenly stop working for no apparent reason.
for example i open network neighborhood. I can view and access the computers connected to the network, i close network neighborhood, and than try to open it back up a moment later and the network is not working. another example is when i'm using Edonkey2000 file sharing app, my DSL internet works fine and im downloading a ton of files, i reboot the computer and the network is completely down. for either cases the fix involves me physically disconnecting the cable on the router and reseting the linksys router. i have tried adress release/renew it does not work.
in my opinion i think it must be a software problem because when the network does run it runs without problems. the only thing suspicious is in device manager it lists the network card as "linksys 10/100 ver4..... #2" there is only one network card installed so I have no idea why the winXP says #2. the drivers are provided by the winXP OS. I have a relatively fresh installation of winXP so my assumption is that it must be the drivers causing the problem and not a corruption in the TCP/IP. I remember a long time ago I ran the same setup under win2k and had no problems with the network card so it could also be a winXP problem. if anyone has ideas please help

oh no the device manager shows only 1 network adaptor installed but appends the "#2" at the end of the name

Try to update your drivers. If it's still there, disable it then delete. The real one will be left.

try uninstalling then reinstalling the card

and what OS do you use?

if it's NT/2000/XP then it is much less of a problem because they are much better designed for networking

reinstalling the driver is the first things i tried through device manager. i click uninstall driver and reboot, it reinstalls "linksys....#2 right back on the list of network adapters. from experience i've learned you should stick with the OS that was available when the hardware came out. i have not had much luck getting new operating systems working 100% with older hardware. i think i have an explaination of why it says #2, i had moved some of the cards around because i removed a modem from a PCI slot, the #2 might mean the network card was re-recognised in the 2nd slot on the PCI bus. that shouldnt be a problem but maybe?

What happens to the other PCs connected to the router when your computer goes down? Are they out too?

Considering that the fix is to power cycle the Router, I doubt very seriously that it is a problem with your NIC. It is much more likely that there is an issue with the router. Do you have the router set up for DHCP or static IP? If it is DHCP, have you tried going to static and vice versa?

Also, have you tried running the PC direct to the DSL modem and finding out if there is an issue with the card dumping on JUST the dsl? (btw, DSL is the bane of my existance.)

Who's DSL are you using? (If it's AOL you already lost, lol)
have you done a continuity test on the DSL connection?

Basically, if the way you got it working was to reinstall the drivers every time, I would say you are on the right track, but since it doesn't involve anything with the card itself (just the router) I think you may be barking up the wrong tree....

Alexander

on the network there are 3 computers using diferent types of NIC's through a linksys router /w built in 4 port switch connected to a dsl modem, verizon is the isp we use. router is set to DHCP and the NIC by default is set to obtain ip dynamically. the only computer that has the problem is the one I described. the dsl AND network still work while the computer with the linksys NIC card stops working so i do not beleive it is the DSL service or router that is causing the problem. i have tried plugging the cable from the linksys NIC to another port on the router, problem persists. i have not connected just the pc with the linksys NIC to the modem. the other computers have onboard NIC's i do not have any other network cards to test with. the problem I was having seems to have stopped, for now at least. i swear trying to isolate problems with older comps with newer OS'es are a huge hassle, maybe i should try win2k if the problem comes back. the problem might be intermittent. thanks for going through the troubleshoot process with me guys

I have exactly the same problems on my new rig, clean install of XP Pro SP1a on a DFI Lanparty NFII Ultra... the network cards (there are 2 onboard) are a Realtek 8139 and a NVidia MCP.

I have loaded all the most recent drivers and tried numerous manual/dhcp configurations... no other kit on my network does the same thing and this error occours with both cards.

The on thing I havent tried yet is to install a PCI card and test that.

I am 99% certain that this is a Windows XP problem but cannot find anything releating on either a google or ms kbase search.

Incidently I have worked across all Windows platforms for 7 years and am MCSE certified in my positiion as an IT Consultant/Engineer. So I have deffinately covered all the basics.

Give me a list of your mobo, chipset and other hardware please ekÆsine, maybe we can find something in common, before I downgrade 2K (didnt want to use shitty XP in the first place, who want an OS which needs reactivation after putting another HDD in?
).

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom