network card

Status
Not open for further replies.

devil_warrior

In Runtime
hey i just been told that i need a network card to use the router im getting. how do i know if i have one? and if it helps on the side of my computer under networking it says i have

integrated 10/100 base T network.

Yea, so look behind your comp, at the mobo, and you are searching for a plug. The plug looks just like a phone jack, but larger. That would be your network plug. Take whatever wire you have (i.e. Ethernet) and plug one end into that back plug, and the other end into the router. But read your router manual as to which plug to stick the cable into.

How are you connecting to the internet?

If it's DSL or cable, you are using USB or you already have an ethernet cable plugged into your RJ45 port on your MB. Your router will only come with one UTP (unshielded twisted pair) cable to connect the router to your DSL/Cable "modem" (a misnomer). Unplug your computer from the modem and plug it into the router (you can hot-plug ethernet). Plug your router into the modem with the inluded cable. Then open a command window (start >> run and type cmd) and type "ipconfig /release" and then "ipconfig /renew". (This assumes XP or 2000. The procedure differs for win9x/me)

If you are using dial-up and you want the router for connection sharing, there will be other issues. Also, if you are switching form dial-up to broadband, you'll need to change some internet settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom