Needing info on Centrino/ Mobile processors

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaase

Beta member
I am wanting to buy a laptop that is light and has wireless capabilities. I am interested in the Cenntrino. But have not been able to get straight answers from the stores.

I am going to run Xp Pro on it. And I am wanting to have long battery life.

Any pros or cons to the Centrino would be nice.

TIA

The Centrino gives built in wireless ability. It's a Pentium M chip with some stuff added onto the Controller. They seems to run very well without eating up the batteries. The wireless is ok, 11mb if I remember.
If you don't want the expansion cards, then go for the Centrino. The only bad thing I have heard is about the limit of upgrading the wireless speed.
Good Luck

Yeah I do know about the wireless speed. But if I need to move info any faster I will plug into my wired 100Mbps network.

I was just wondering if there was more to it than an M processor and some built in wireless. Which seems to help with battery/power consumption.

I alos wanted to know if there where bad things about them. I am an amd guy so I am leary about using the pentium stuff. lol

Well, I really don't have too many pros and/or cons about the centrino because I personally don't use one. I have worked on many laptops that have had one and most of them were very light and the battery seemed to last forever. Most of the problems with these weree virus related so it had nothing to do with the processor....
But I can tell you one thing for sure....that the processor will out perform that Via C3 you have ;)
Haven't seen one of those in a while!
Hope that was at least somewhat helpfull

-Mike

mikesgroovin said:
Well, I really don't have too many pros and/or cons about the centrino because I personally don't use one. I have worked on many laptops that have had one and most of them were very light and the battery seemed to last forever. Most of the problems with these weree virus related so it had nothing to do with the processor....
But I can tell you one thing for sure....that the processor will out perform that Via C3 you have ;)
Haven't seen one of those in a while!
Hope that was at least somewhat helpfull

-Mike

LOL The Via is a good little cpu. Does the internet surfing very well. I have it hooked up to my 27" tv and it works great. I use it to surf and check email when I am too lazy to get up off the couch. :D

i also would like to hear people who actually own a centrino notebook talk about how fast a centrino processor performs compared to a p4 or xp-m CPU.

like chaase, im also looking for a notebook and centrino seems nice because of the long 5 hour battery life, but they do cost a lot more than a typical p4 2.4Ghz-m or xp2400m processor. . .around $300-400 USD more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom