Needing advice on a gaming update. PLZ HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nous

Solid State Member
Hi, guys.

I'm not a hardcore PC gamer, but like many people, I am a complete and total Sims fanatic. I have bought the Sims 2, but I am aware that I need upgrades to be able to play it at the quality I'd like. For those of you that are not familiar with the game, here are the sys. requirements:

800 MHz processor
256 MB RAM
Windows(R) XP, Windows ME, Windows 98 or Windows 2000 Operating System.
At least 3.5 GB of hard drive space
A T&L-capable video card with at least 32 MB of video RAM.

My computer runs with:
1 Ghz AMD Athlon processor
248 MB RAM
Windows XP
S3 Graphics Pro card

I have already made arrangements to double or even max out (768mb) my memory. However, I'm not sure what video card to get. I have an AGP slot, and I want good quality, but I don't know what my pc can handle. Should I even get a new, better processor?

Please help!

It probably wouldn't hurt to get a better processor. I don't know hoe much you are willing to spend, but if you can afford it, get an AMD 64 2800 at the very least. You're right about the RAM upgrade. Try for 1GB dual channel (x2 512GB modules). For the vid card, ATi9800,9800pro, or 9800XT if you are running think on cash. If you got the money, I'd suggest the nVidia 6800, I've heard a lot of really good things about it.

An nVidia 6800 is OVERKILL for just playing TheSims. Save your money and drop down a step or two. You'll be fine.

And when your digital dollhouse gets some addons that appeal to us FPS fanatics, THEN you can say "like many people."

Thanx for the reply, Regulus...

I'm a college student-athlete, so I don't really have the money to be slinging around. I don't want a MAJOR upgrade if at all possible, because I don't play many games on the PC. Really just the Sims. I just want it to look good and play relatively fast.

Shoobie, if you don't like the game, then you're not one of those "many people", so I wasn't to speaking to, for, or about you. And I can say MANY people, because, as advertised, The Sims is the "#1 selling PC game of all time."

The Sims is the "#1 selling PC game of all time."
In that genre.
You've also got to watch out for the "Relative to Current Market" fine print.

As for all time, it's probably a toss-up between PONG, Mario, Zelda, HL, Unreal, Wolfenstein, DOOM, SimCity, and a few others I'm too tired to type. Someone should start a poll on this one! :D

i can't believe people are saying you should get a 6800 gt just for the sims :-\ you dont even need a 9800/pro/xt (which are not as good as the 6800gt) get something lower like the 9600 pro you probably dont even need that to run it good.

People need to quit suggesting the 6800 to people who aren't hardcore gamers. Thats just rediculous. The sims would run more than fine on a Radeon 9600XT or GeForce 5700 Ultra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom