Need suggestion for specs on comp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan711

Solid State Member
I would like to build my own computer but i do not know how much i want to spend. So i would like some people to come up with some specs for a 500$ machine a 1000$ one a 1500$ one and a 2000$ one. The reason i would like to do this is because i want to compare them and see what i can get for what money. I dont care if it is a p4 or amd. and one more thing i am a gamer so the video card needs to be decent. I am a fan of ati. Thanks in Adv.

ok i cannot help with price because i live in the UK, but the bet way to decide on what to build is to asess what you wish to use the computer for

why ati over nvidia?
i got an nvidia 5700 xt, it is not bad.

i guess for a 1000 dollar pc you could go for a 5700xt
for a 2000 dollar you would go for a 5950.

but the word is on the street that pci express is on the way. i dont know if it is going to be better than agp.

maybe you should wait till the end of the year, let the dust settle and then decide on what you want?

no forget nvidia, ati 5600xt pro is good and relatively cheap, if its games you wanna play, pentium has higher clock speeds and lower temps

Hey,
ATI is a better performer than nvidia.
U might think Iam saying this bcos I own an ATI card.
But I own a nvidia card and tried an ATI card.
Seriously, I would recommend U 2 to wait for a month.
Read the threads posted in this zone and U will know y.
PCI express is 2x better than AGP-8X.

the fact is ati scores better 3dmark points, and an advantage is that sapphires ati come with a utility to overclock without voiding the warrenty

ryan711 said:
I would like to build my own computer but i do not know how much i want to spend. So i would like some people to come up with some specs for a 500$ machine a 1000$ one a 1500$ one and a 2000$ one. The reason i would like to do this is because i want to compare them and see what i can get for what money. I dont care if it is a p4 or amd. and one more thing i am a gamer so the video card needs to be decent. I am a fan of ati. Thanks in Adv.

500$ = POO POO Machine

1000.00 = I can build you an OK p4 3.2 system with asus MB/OK case/modem/keyboard/mouse/ cheap speakers/100gb hard drive/512mb ddr400/128mb video fx5200

1500.00= I can give you my computer system (everything i have listed below WITHOUT TV Turner card) (ill take 200+ loss)

2000$= I can build you nice AMD FX with LOTS of goodies

wha tis the difference between the 1000 dollar, 1500 dollar machine and the 2000 dollar machine.

i mean where would the user feel the difference?

are there some applications that one can not run on one machine, and some that he can run on some other machine.

becroydon said:
no forget nvidia, ati 5600xt pro is good and relatively cheap
I think you mean Radeon 9600 XT

by the $2000 price I'm assuming it's in Aussie dollars am I right?
if that is the case:

a $500 machine I don't reccomend
a $1000 is much better but still don't reccomend

$1500 machine

P4 3.2GHZ
Asus P4P800 - not sure if this has SATA ports

Radeon 9600 pro

average case, but make sure you're not getting less than 400W PSU and you should know the quality of the PSU

pretty average keyboard and mouse

CD burner and DVD (I suggest separate but that's just me) from Sony, Pioneer or LG

maybe a floppy drive if you'll use it

Windows XP pro

average 17" monitor

Seagate/Western Digital (I prefer Seagate) 80/120GB SATA HDD - or just an ATA100 if the P4P800 board doesn't have any SATA ports

Logitech Z-640 speakers

$2000 machine - I'd get one of these myself:

AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Asus K8V Deluxe - has a descent onboard 6 channel sound card, quality is v. good
you'll want to stay away from onboard video though

Radeon 9600 XT/9800 pro

a good case, pick one yourself but make sure you know the quality PSU you're getting, preferrably Antec and at least 400W

a 19" fairly good monitor, or if you go to any swap meets you might get lucky on getting a 21" monitor for $300-$400

Seagate/Western Digital 120/160GB SATA

Windows XP Pro

a CD burner +DVD combo, and a DVD drive or DVDR/RW - a DVDR/RW might be stretching the $ though
from LG, Pioneer or Sony

Logitech Z-640 or X-620 speakers - the X-620 are 6 channel so you will be able to get more from the onboard sound in the mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom