Need some RAM suggestions - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 08:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Him
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Him Send a message via Yahoo to Him
Default Need some RAM suggestions

So my RAM almost completely sh!t the bed the other day, Kingston ValueRAM, so I'm not too upset about it. But now it is time for an upgrade. Swell, upgrading is always fun. I'm going to get a new MoBo, some RAM, and maybe a new cpu, not entirely sure. But one thing at a time, for money reasons, so I'm going to go with some RAM right now. I want a gig, DDR400, and some pretty decent stuff. I'm not going to save money and buy cheap anymore, I realized the error of my ways, realized that you really do get what you pay for. So I'm going to invest in some real memory, it'll pay off. I dont game, I just have a computer and like power. Possibly interested in mild OCing, nothing spectacular in this peice.

I was thinking two sticks of these:
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...ductCode=80097

Good idea? My current specs are listed below. Any suggestions on memory would be nice. Money is a factor, but I am willing to spend some good money in order to get good memory.

Old 05-18-2005, 09:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Older But Wiser

That's a good price for Corsair, Man has Ram gotten cheaper. I heard 512 is plenty. I put a gig in this rig and I didn't notice ANY difference from 512. But like you I just wanted more!!!! Ya can't go wrong with Corsair. Do It!

ASUS GeForce 760 GTX

1TB Sata Seagate
100 Gig Maxtor Sata 7200 Rpm
ASUS DRW 24B3S7 ATA Optical
Windows 7 Home Premium
Dell E228WFP 22"
Old 05-18-2005, 09:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

That RAM doesn't look bad to me, but I would personally go with this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145440
Even though it is the value select, I've never had a problem with mine, and it's really nice. They're also Corsair.

-SkyHi
Old 05-18-2005, 09:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS

He said he doesnt want value ram

Hell I paid more for value ram at xmas than what it is for XMS now
Old 05-18-2005, 09:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Him
Wizard Techie

Thanks for the suggestion SkyHi, but, like I said, I dont want value ram. i've heard bad things about it, and I've only had one experience with value ram, and it was bad.

I had 512MB, and when I bumped up to a gig I noticed a WORLD of difference and performance increase. When i was at 512, if I was backing up a dvd and watching tv, I would get a dvd backup error and my entire system would crash. Then I threw the extra stick in, went to a gig, and now I can backup watch tv and do a few other things with little to no noticable performance loss. So I think a gig is totally worth it.

RAM is super cheap now. I remember when I got 32mb back in the day, and it cost well over $100. Now, ****, I cant get 16 times that amount for less than half the price! Thats RIDICULOUS! But, even in the past few weeks RAM prices have nearly plumetted. About 6 months ago I got a 1gb Kingston ValueRAM kit from ZZF and it was $180. And that was a rather killer price. Now I'm looking at very high end ram for $60 less for the same amount.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Older But Wiser

Definitely worthwhile for multi tasking. I was expecting a little bump in gaming.
ASUS GeForce 760 GTX

1TB Sata Seagate
100 Gig Maxtor Sata 7200 Rpm
ASUS DRW 24B3S7 ATA Optical
Windows 7 Home Premium
Dell E228WFP 22"
Old 05-18-2005, 11:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
Him
Wizard Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by kboy
Definitely worthwhile for multi tasking. I was expecting a little bump in gaming.
You dont really see a difference in gaming when you went from 512 to 1024? Man, I figured you would see a dramatic improvement.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Him
I had 512MB, and when I bumped up to a gig I noticed a WORLD of difference and performance increase. When i was at 512, if I was backing up a dvd and watching tv, I would get a dvd backup error and my entire system would crash. Then I threw the extra stick in, went to a gig, and now I can backup watch tv and do a few other things with little to no noticable performance loss. So I think a gig is totally worth it.
if your system was crashing cause of that, something was wrong, like bad RAM,bad software, or user error
Old 05-18-2005, 11:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Him
Wizard Techie

Nah, I was backing up a dvd (Which alone uses 100% of my cpu) and then was also watching TV on WinDVR (Which is almost equally as demanding). I suppose I should also mention that when I bumped up to a gig I also went to dual channel with it. I'm relatively sure it was just because I had a small amount of RAM, because every once in a while when I'm under full load like that it lags and crashes once in a while. It may also be a cause of my P.O.S. motherboard.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Techie

Nonsense, I can duplicate same situation quite easily, with 128mb RAM and no crashes, matter of fact ive never even had a system crash due to anything other than user error in years.

Sounds like youve got a software problem.

a dvd backup may be cpu intensive, but it uses little RAM at all,same with a TV card unless its usb

Closed Thread