Need some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxcouch

Baseband Member
I have a Compaq 7151WM thats getting a little behind the times it seems. I'm looking to upgrade the Video card (from a GeForce2MX to something a little newer) and the Ram. It currently has 256MB PC800 RDRAM and is Upgradable to 1GB. I was wondering if anyone knew by chance on how many slots there is for the memory so i know what to buy so i can upgrade it to 512MB and where a good cheap place would be to buy them from

hi dxcouch
may have the product number of the compaq you are having
or that may be listed as the system number at the back panel of the tower
so i can pull up the information
thanks & regards

Well getting RDRAM is gonna cost you an arm and a leg...As far as video card, as long as it has an AGP slot I'd move up to maybe a Geforce 4 ti4200 or a Radeon of some flavor. Because your Motherboard doesnt have AGP 8x, and you probably have a processor less than 1.4Ghz your computer wouldnt be able to fully use a super high end graphics card. The system would slow the card down..so getting one that costs around $100 is what I'd recommend....

I have exactly a 1.4ghz

here are the specs

Features
Intel Pentium 4 processor 1.4 GHz
256 MB PC800 RDRAM upgradable to 1.0 GB
40.0 GB Ultra-DMA hard drive
16x DVD-ROM drive
8x CD-RW drive
10/100 Ethernet networking card
56K ITU V.90 modem
64 MB SDR Nvidia GeForce2 MX with TV-Out (S-Video Connection)
Soundblaster 128-voice PCI audio card
3 IEEE 1394 Firewire ports
Microsoft Works Productivity Suite
Windows ME installed

As i said i was looking to double the memory but i dont know if I need 1 256MB or 2 128MB pieces pending the amount of slots. Also i was looking at the following for a video card:

XFX GeForce™ FX5200 128MB AGP Video Card $89.99
VisionTek Xtasy 9200 SE 128MB PCI Video Card $89.99
PNY GeForce FX 5200 128MB AGP Video Card $99.99
ATI Radeon™ 9200 8X 128MB Video Card $99.99
ATI Radeon™ 9600 SE 128MB AGP Video Card $129.99

those are the only video cards the store near me has that are better than my current card. As for the GeForce4 ti 4200. The only one i've check was about $350 :(

Well u should have only one extra pci slot for expansion on this computer.
And heres the exact information regarding the RAM for 7151WM

-256MB PC800 RDRAM, 4 total RIMM slots upgradable to 1.5 GB (RDRAM RIMM required - must be installed in matching pairs)

consider this information directly from compaq

Anything else u want to know regarding this model?

4 slots... so im guessing the first 2 slots are filled with 128MB each so i must pair it up with another 2 128MB correct?

only questions left are, is memory easy to install and the same about a video card?

very easy to install. just place it in the slot and push down. dont force it to hard though, be careful not to break it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom