Need some Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatsMyWord21

Solid State Member
Ok i am new to the forums and am happy i found them because lots of people on here look to be happy to help thers. My problem is my PC reboots while playing 3D games... I have just upgraded from a GeForce 2 to a Geforce FX 5600 ultra 256... My system specs are AMD 1600+, 512 Kingston pc2700 ram, Epox 87ka+ mobo, 80 gig WD hard drive with 8 mb cache... When i was using my Geforce 2 this was not happening... I do not think it is the vid card because if I underclock my clock speeds to 100/200 i have not crashed once... I am hoping it is my Power Supply because it is a cheapo 420 watt ( $20 ). Also when i do a restart the PC shuts down and just stays on a black screen untill i hit the reset button on the case... I have the newest drivers for everything and i have formatted 2 times to try to fix this problem... I think it is a PSU problem but i just want some people who know a lot about these things to give me an opinion... I will reall appriciate any help... THANK YOU

Did you build this computer yourself or was it bought manufactured?
I have never myself come across such a faulty power supply, or one that would be as messed up as you think it may be..
Do any STOP error's come up in Windows indicating specific problems? Please reply with the version of Windows you are currently on.
Is the BIOS updated?
You have to consider that psu's are fairly simple parts..I'm just not sure if that would be the problem, especially considering the fact that when you to a plain restart there are problems... It may be your motherboard. Feed us some more specs and we will hopefully be able to help you figure this out.

The version of windows i have is XP Pro... The bios is updated and everything... When i bought my new vid card everything was fine for a couple weeks then i would get maybe 1 or 2 reboots a day and it has gotten worse to the point i cant get 2 min of gameplay in without it rebooting... I am upset because i spent about 400 dollars on games in the past couple months and now i feel like i waisted my money cause i cant even play them... I formatted a couple times and changed every setting possible in my Nvidia settings and tried every Nvidia drver known to man and nothing helps... I hope spending 60 bucks on a good PSU helps... Are there any other specs you would like to know of?

I dont think it is the card... If it was the card wouldnt it still crash even if i had my system underclocked?... I have my processor running at normal speeds (1050Ghz) and my system hasnt crashed yet... as soon as i set it to 133 (1.4 Ghz) i cant play any games for longer than 2 minutes

Sorry i wrote that wrong... I have my computer set at 100/200 which is lower than my normal speeds... My normal speeds are 133 and when i have it running at normal speeds i crash... when underclocked i dont crash... sorry

I did go into my control panel and uncheck the box that says dont automaticaly restart and it still does... Yes this only happens when playing 3d games... I was told the my PSU isnt good enough for the vid card I am running because it was a cheapo one ( 20 bucks ) Turbo Link 420 watt

if you suspect it than just replace it to see, what did you expect for $20? 420watt for $20 doesn't even make sense. look to spend at least about $50 for a 420watt power supply. i can recommend enlight 420watt, they only have one model in that watt range so it is easy to find it newegg.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom