need some help - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 11-26-2004, 06:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default need some help

ok. im messing around with my parents old as sticks comp.
first off they have a p2 350mz/ 192mb pc100/10gig ata/hell if i know for a mobo.

im haveing a lot of errors and such. it takes about 45-90 seconds for full boot.
ive ran disk cleanup/scandisk/defrag, and a plethera of others as well a memtest and such.
everything ive done has not helped boot times and error.

im wondering if bios/battery/drivers are messed up. if so were can i go to get these. i have no idea what im looking for if i do.

thanks for the help ahead of time.

Old 11-26-2004, 08:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

Running a 350mhz, 45 seconds isnt uncommon. If the computer is all stock, go to the manufacturers website and dl bios updates, newest chipset drivers, and then try reinstalling windows and all new drivers etc. Dont expect too much from it

Old 11-26-2004, 08:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

What operating system are you trying to run on this machine?
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 :: INTEL i7 920 @3.4 :: XFX GTX260 :: 6gb Corsair 1600 :: Corsair 750TX :: TRUE 120 :: Samsung T240 24" :: Windows 7 X64

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 11-26-2004, 09:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

its running 98. personnaly im trying to get them to upgrade to a new comp. this thing hasnt been touched (upgraded) scince they got it like 5 years ago
Old 11-26-2004, 09:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

I would format and install XP.
TheMajorMMX - Intel P200 MMX @ 225Mhz - V-Tech (PcPartner) Baby-AT mb w/ Intel Triton TX chipset - Nvidia Riva TNT2 M64 w/ 16MB - 256MB M-Tec SDRAM - Still running.....
Old 11-26-2004, 09:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

id love to do that but 1. i dont have a copy of xp to install. 2. they wont let me back up what they need and format.

i know that that would help everything alot. ive tried to get them to let me do this but oh well. so i thought maybe that maybe if i can download driver updates or something it might help.

im gona try and update bios and what i can and see if that will work. oh i timed it lilke 3 times to see how long its takeing to fully boot and the average is about 2min 25 sec.

on a good try it gets about 60sec maybe a little more.
Old 11-26-2004, 09:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

umm hehe how can i find out my bios?
Old 11-26-2004, 09:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via Yahoo to intercodes

If your mobo site doesnt have the drivers , check They even have a tool for detecting what BIOS your machine runs on ,and some info about it.
If your parents doesn't use any 'applications' , then try to format the windows drive [copy the data in windows drive to some other drive] . and then reinstall windows 98. Dont install windows Xp ,if you have the chance.

Old 11-27-2004, 08:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

ok thanks intercodes. ill try there now
Old 11-27-2004, 11:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
True Techie
Send a message via ICQ to Smokin-A.I. Send a message via AIM to Smokin-A.I. Send a message via Yahoo to Smokin-A.I.

98 is good but if you have a copy of ME it will be better .
2min to boot.....down to 60 sec.?
if your not used to running a machine at higher speed , then you wouldnt knotice the S--L--O--W start up , slow starts can be caused by loading to many programs in the background, that is a common problem with older machines. try getting something like system suite 5 and do a clean up of the registry . that will smooth it out some

if its not artifical intelligence, why have it?
Closed Thread