Need second opinions for this headache!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mogite

Baseband Member
About 2 months ago I was using PC when the screen suddenly scewed! Started with what appeared to be "static", but I have nothing near PC which would cause that, then screen was suddenly filled with very small squares that, while I could make out the background, no text could be read. I tried to reboot, but while it was trying to do that the screen went black as if it was off, but the tower still showed a power light. I had to literly pull the plug to shut it down. I left it off a few hours then tried again, with the same results. This went on for the next 5 weeks, with the time I had upon startup, til the screen scewed varing a little each time. I timed it one day and had as little as 2 minutes and as long as 22 minutes. I left it off for 3 weeks while trying to figure it out. I know you'll wonder why I just don't take it to a PC repair shop & have it checked out, but i've been burned twice going that route in the past. Yesterday I went to a Best Buy to ask the PC guys there and after telling the first guy what was going on he said it sounded like the problem is either with the video board or the power supply. they tested the power supply and said it tested fine.but then they noticed that i had upgraded my Pvideo card and that the 200W power supply wasn't enough. also found that the video card was failing. still working but not well. ultimatly they suggested this......replace the video card fan because it is cheap and the board might not be permantly damaged. also said I needed to put a more powerful power supply in. My main questions for you are....Does thier diagnosis sound right? Do you think the video card could still be fine with a new fan (fan is cheaper than a new card!) and is there anything wrong with puting a new powersupply in my tower even if there isn't room where the current power supply is (there is room elsewhere) It's a Gateway PC so the power supply chasis is small :(

Yeah sounds right... Those options are the cheapest.. and a new powersupply is only like 20bucks!

if it is still happening it could be the monitor itself also...

maybe that might need to be replaced.

I would spend more than 20$ on a power supply, the thermaltake td-420ad is 35$ at newegg. Better than any sub 50$ best buy power supply.

As for the fan, if it spins, it works.

A few other details, I also thought it might be the monitor, but couldn't figure out how a monitor problem could cause the PC to "lock up" when trying to boot/re-boot. The techs at Best Buy said a failing power supply or video card could cause it. The other wierd issue is that there was a period of a week & a half where both problems stopped happening..and I havn't a clue why! I just came home one day and my wife said she ran a virus check (which I had done previously) and , although the screen "scewed" while it was scanning she said it looked like it found something. when i booted the PC it booted fine and never scewed.and i left it on for hours!!! then, about 4 days ago, it just started doing it again?!?! So the time it takes for it to happen after start-up is varying, from 2 minutes to a week & a half.

and, yes, i did buy a new power supply (350W) which should give me the power I need, but I havn't opened it yet because I was waiting to see what opinions i got here first. The PC is Gateway and I've been told that a new power supply won't fit where the original one is, but one of the guys at Best Buy said it didn't have to go where the original one is, that it could go in the big open space at the bottom, front portion of the case. He said I could leave the orginal one there for it's fan so I get ventilation. He said i'd just have to run a little longer wires for the new mounting location. Sound right???

Last thing to keep in mind is that this PC is 5-6 years old so I don't want to stick any more money into it than i have to. but I can't afford to not have a PC at all and I won't have the cash to buy or build a new one until fall.

The problem with a new PS is that with the case being a Gateway, a new PS would have to go in the only avail location......the bottom of the case. and i've been told that's a bad idea.

Ehh i really don't see a problem putting the power supply in the front of the case. So long as you make sure it has adequate ventilation you should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom