Need a power supply advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Person

Baseband Member
Hello everyone!
I have a question. Would this powersupply be enough to use it with a GeForce6800 Ultra? I know this is a power hungry monster so I need to get something better than the 420W power supply which only pumps out 12 AMPs.
Btw. other things that will be hooked up to the mobo (with 1GB Ram and 3500 WInchester, I'm not sure if those make much difference):
1 SATA hard drive, 1 optical drive, 1 pci sound card, 1 pci wireless access card, and the 6800 Ultra. (As you can see im not very big on things storage and such)
Link:
Powa supply

that looks like a pretty cheap psu, here is won i found that is a 500w and is about 60bucks and looks awsome and got five star rating

psu

Well, the price is important for me, as of now im buying the final components with money I don't yet have. It was all nice and dandy in the beginning but cash got a little low towards the end :D.

Both of those really look bad IMO. Watts don't mean anything.

Waht you want is the most amps per rail you can find in your price range and in the category of watts you need.

Say you have a 500watter with only 15A on the 12v, and a 450watter with 34A on the 12v. 90% of the time you won't be needing 500watts to power your PC even if you run multiple HDD's lots of CD-roms, fans, everything like that. the 450watter would be ALOT more stable than the 500watt in this comparison.

Look for the most amps per rail you can find with a PSU ~450watts or more in your rpice range. Don't be fooled by a 600watter for $40, it's absolute crap if it's that cheap.

12v minimum should be 20A IMO, that's usually the make or break rail

Im just not sure I will ever need that much power. But then again who knows.. I might have to go with that one :D.
:beard: :D

lazerman said:
This one has excellent amperage on the +12v rail, it's the one recommended earlier http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-148-005&depa=1.

what is it? it doesnt list the amps for any of the rails.

Im just not sure I will ever need that much power. But then again who knows.. I might have to go with that one .

the one you listed earlier was 580watts lmao. it looked pretty good spec wise, but for $32 i wouldn't trust it to last more than a year.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-182-010&depa=0
^^^ only $60, reputable brand, whopping 35A on 12v, 50A on 5v, 30A on 3.3v, awesome paint job and big LED fan. i think that is a kiler PSU if you are on a budget.

Yes it does, just look at the pictures provided, ones of the sticker on the back. Wish I saw that one before I bought mine, although its not crapping up yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom