Need new vid card, Maybe new motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

psychedelicyelp

Beta member
I currently own a dell Dimension 8200. It has a nVidia Ge-Force 4 mx 420 in it, pentium IV 2.4GHZ processor and (only) 256 mb of ram. Well, I do alot of gaming, and this card just doesn't cut it for games like Doom III and Half-Life 2. It runs half-life 2 fine, just on lowest settings. I want to get a Radeon 9800 PRO, its the best I think for the max price I want. Now, going by my current vid card, I only have PCI slots (I think) How could I tell if I have an AVG slot or not? If not, what is the best PCI card, and is it much of an upgrade from my current card? Im thinking IM going to have to upgrade my motherboard so I can get a better graphics card. What are the best motherboards to fit my needs. I also have a soundblaster sound card installed, will that need to be replaced if I get a new mother board? What is everything I will need to do to replace my motherboard as far as things I'll need to buy and installation instructions? Also, is the Radeon a good card choice? THanks

An AGP slot is brown, if you have a brown slot you can stick a better card in

A 6600GT would be better, but the 9800Pro is a few dollars cheaper

well if u dont have the agp slot forget about it. unless you want to get a new mobo. thought if you do have the agp slot go with the 6600GT.But i would also recomend a little bit more ram, atleast another 256 "at least". i suggest you just pay 80$ and get 1 gig fresh.
if u want a new mother board make sure you get pci-e16x.

First things first. You gotta find out all the specs of your computer, including if you have an AGP slot!

Follow the link in my sig to find out what hardware you have, and then post back:D

Got some info!!!!

Motherboard info....
Motherboard Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation
Motherboard Model: Dimension 8200
Graphic Interface version: AGP Version 2.0 :D
Graphic Interface Transfer Rate: 4x
Max Supported: 4x

Memory...
Type: RDRAM
Size: 256mb (2x128mb)
Frequency: 397.8 MHz

CPU...
Processor Specification: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz
Processor Code Name: Northwood
Core Speed: 2386.5 MHz
FSB: 132.6 MHz
Bus Speed: 530.3 MHz

Video Card Info...
Direct X version: 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
Device Name: NVIDIA GeForce4 Mx 420
Device Chip Type: GeForce MX 420
Device Approx. Total Memory: 64.0 mb
Drivers Main Driver: nv4_disp.dll
Drivers Version: 6.14.0010.5216 (English)

Thanks for all the help. What makes the nVidia better, just so I can know. I have a monitor with the metal prongs on the plug so it will work with the card right? I guess I have AGP from what I understand, am I correct? What type of ram will I need to buy, just any RDRAM??????? Thanks again, keep 'em comin'

actually forget it rdram is soo expensive man. just get the video card 6600gt or 6800gt

SO it IS AGP???

So I DO have AGP then???? Ok good. It's weird though, I opened my comp up, I had one green slot where my current vid card is and the rest were all grey, no brown.... Maybe thats just dell for you. Also, how do you find out the info on your power supply to make sure it gives enough for a new vid card? I *think* my power supply is 250W, and ATI reccomends 300W for normal operation. Will this be much of a problem, or will I need to replace it?

Re: SO it IS AGP???

psychedelicyelp said:
So I DO have AGP then???? Ok good. It's weird though, I opened my comp up, I had one green slot where my current vid card is and the rest were all grey, no brown.... Maybe thats just dell for you. Also, how do you find out the info on your power supply to make sure it gives enough for a new vid card? I *think* my power supply is 250W, and ATI reccomends 300W for normal operation. Will this be much of a problem, or will I need to replace it?

It can bring stability issues but I have seen a 9800 Pro run on 250W before but Dell usually supplies crappy PSUs with low 12v amplines. Upgrade your PSU AND your RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom