Need a new graphics card for Doom 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
DO NOT GET A GEFORCE XT OR A RADEON SE, THEY ARE REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY BAD!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, GeForce 5700 Ultra or 9600XT will play any of the latest games... you should definitely consider a Radeon 9800 Pro and modding it to a 9800 XT.

EDIT: For Doom 3 you should get yourself a 256MB graphics card.

Well, I just built my first PC and bought a Radeon 9800 Pro. It is a decent vid card. If I had to do it again, I would pimp myself on a corner to come up with the extra $$$ for a 6800 GT. My bud has one and it is an amazing card.

Thanks for all the replies.

Can someone explain exactly what the difference is between the SE, XT, ULTRA and PRO models?

SE:Second edition often called sucky edition cause its a downgraded version of the video card. ex:9800se is a downgraded version of a 9800 4 pipleines opposed to 8 128-bit memory

XT:extreme edition cause its an overclocked of the pro and the pro is an overclocked version a regular video card.(note: xt in Nvidia cards is an bad thing. It means underclocked 4 some reason.

Ultra: In Nvidia terms is Nvidia's answer to a radeon xt. Its extremely overclocked just like an xt.

If i were you, i would get the 9800 pro cause its 256-bit and it has 8 pipleines. If you cant go for a 9800, go for a 9600xt 256 cause its overclocked and you can overclock it to a 9700.

Indeed it was a good reply, just what I wanted to know.

I can get a 9800 PRO for £117, about $210

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

My fingers keep straying towards the credit card, but can it take any more punishment???!

Thanks for all the replies.

Do not get the 9800se - the 9600 Pro runs my games 10X better...Like Kangaroo said, DO NOT GET THE 9800 SE!!!!

Sadly there's a big bit of water between me and newegg. Shipping fee's would probably make it cost more than buying it here! But thanks for the tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom