Need a new flash drive - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 06:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Bake a Pretty Cake!

Default Need a new flash drive

So I bought an 8GB SanDisk Cruzer Micro on black friday and the thing got completely wrecked in my pocket for one day.

I have like 17GB worth of flash drives, but none that I can carry on my key chain.
I'm gonna try to sell my 8GB sandisk for at least $15 hopefully so I can use that money towards a new one.

Any recommendations?
8 or 16GB (8 is fine unless there's a really good deal on a 16)
It needs to be able to take a beating, and the keychain loop needs to be strong.

I looked at this one, which seems good other than a bad keychain loop:
Newegg.com - Patriot Xporter XT 8GB Flash Drive (USB2.0 Portable) Model PEF8GUSB - USB Flash Drives

This one seems meh:
Newegg.com - Patriot Razzo 8GB Flash Drive (USB2.0 Portable) Model PSF8GRUSB - USB Flash Drives

Two guys at work have this one, which seems great except the orange cover is not attached well to the flash drive, so it comes out if you pull it out of the usb port incorrectly:
Newegg.com - Patriot Xporter Mini 8GB Flash Drive (USB2.0 Portable) Model PSF8GMUSB - USB Flash Drives

My boss has this one, which seems to be pretty hard. Also the keyring is on the cap, so you don't lose the cap and your keys don't dangle from the computer when you use it... it's more expensive, but I'm probably leaning towards this one right now:
Newegg.com - SanDisk Cruzer Crossfire 8GB Flash Drive (USB2.0 Portable) Model SDCZG8192A11 - USB Flash Drives

Any other suggestions? <$25 after shipping (area code 53711) would be excellent.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
I don't overclock

Default Re: Need a new flash drive

Welcome to Corsair :: Corsair Cinema gets dropped from 3rd floor and ran over by a car and it still works

CORSAIR Survivor 8GB Flash Drive (USB2.0 Portable) Model CMFUSBSRVR

Old 03-13-2009, 05:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Bake a Pretty Cake!

problem is that thing is giant... and just as expensive as the cruzer crossfire
Old 03-13-2009, 08:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to philbar71

i have the patriot xporter ,the one you first linked to, and i think it's great. the only thing i do not like about it is the lanyard attaching method and the cap can get lost easily if you dont keep track of it. i got mine on sale for $20 about one month ago.

The only thing ATi can render faster than nVidia is the BSOD

SLI ON INTEL P45: http://www.techist.com/pc/f76/sli-intel-chipset-219886/

<<< i like rep :D
Old 03-13-2009, 08:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Patron

Both of these are small and can take a beating

Amazon.com: KingMax 8GB Super Stick =NEW Microsoft Vista Boost Certified= USB Drive. **Washer and Dryer SAFE!: Electronics

Amazon.com: Super Talent 8GB 200X Pico C USB Flash Drive - Retail Package: Electronics
Old 03-15-2009, 04:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat.Clown View Post
Welcome to Corsair :: Corsair Cinema gets dropped from 3rd floor and ran over by a car and it still works

CORSAIR Survivor 8GB Flash Drive (USB2.0 Portable) Model CMFUSBSRVR
I'll actually second this one, the Survivors are amazing. I picked one up because I kept wrecking standard flash drives in my pockets in less than 6 months. Only took going through a few of them to make me stock messing around and go for one that's almost literally unbreakable. Great speeds from it, it'll never break, the price is worth it. And it's honestly not that big and you can put it on your keychain without any issues. I've never been disappointed with mine and I got one for my little brother (11) for the exact same reason. He used his all the time but the regular kept breaking. What's the point in buying cheap drives every few months just to have them break? This thing is an investment after all. It's designed to last!

Heck, it's only $35 straight up and $20 after the rebate! No reason not to get this one imo.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Techie

Get the Sandisk Cruzer Titanium. Same size. More durable.
Amazon.com: sandisk cruzer titanium
Old 03-15-2009, 09:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I personally have the Cruzers, and I have issues with them...forgetting the U3 crap, since you can uninstall it, i find that if you use them in laptops with heat issues (ie: macbooks.) and you start transferring a decent size file or bunch of files, after a bit it will conk out and become unrecognized.

I personally think the 8gb Corsair that was mentioned is the way to go, especially with the MIR.
thirdshiftdj - what on earth are you trying to say???
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM or IM.
If I helped you out, or what I just said rocked you like a hurricane, hit the little thingie over there.
<-------------------------------
Old 03-16-2009, 12:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've got a Kingston DataTraveller and an Adata flash drive (4GB and 2GB, respectively). The Kingston's transfer rate is way better than the Adata's rate. I plan on getting a bigger Kingston when I get the chance.

I bought mine through Buy.com... they have some awesome deals on them from time to time.

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 03-16-2009, 12:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Kingston does make some good stuff too, good call on that.

thirdshiftdj - what on earth are you trying to say???
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM or IM.
If I helped you out, or what I just said rocked you like a hurricane, hit the little thingie over there.
<-------------------------------
Closed Thread