Need a little help here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremiah

Solid State Member
I have a P4 3.0 with a 6600gt PCIe video card and i have been getting lockups when ever i play any type of game. i kno wit isnt the video card(i have tried different ones) and i dont think it is over heating, just because it never goes past 50celcius. it only lockups when i play games, that i have noticed so far. i have a 400w power supply and a GA-8I915PL-G gigabyte mother board.
i dont kno wwhat can cause this but all it does is lock up in the middle of playing a game within 2-3 minutes of starting to play the game. Any suggestions?

400W PSU? What brand?

If it came with the case, it's probably the culprit (this does not apply to Antec or ThermalTake, however).

What games are getting locked up? It could be a driver issue. Usually when a GPU overheats it restarts the PC or completely shuts it down.

sr5 said:
How long has this been going on for? Did it just start? New game?

brand new computer, not new game and started when i first got the computer. computer was made by my dad.

"What games are getting locked up? It could be a driver issue. Usually when a GPU overheats it restarts the PC or completely shuts it down."

it doesnt restart nor does it shut down, just locks up, freezes.
no blue screens or anything, just a lock up. and it locks up in any game.

400W PSU? What brand?

If it came with the case, it's probably the culprit (this does not apply to Antec or ThermalTake, however).

it says on the side of the PSU Codegen i guess thats the brand

what drivers should i uninstal and get from those sites. i dont want to mess up anything up...

Get DriverCleaner first. DriverCleaner has all the instructions you need. I'm assuming you're using Nvidia drivers? Did you try updating the Nvidia drivers? Many gamers will recommend third party drivers like Omega and DNA because they have better FPS. I'm an ATI owner so I haven't used Nvidia drivers. But it should be the same process and it is listed in the readme in DriverCleaner. Make sure you download DriverCleaner Pro. I recommend Omega over DNA. Its easy to find which one to download just follow the tabs >Nvidia GF >Your OS. Then do what the readme says in DriverCleaner.

ok, you found the problem yourself

many people do this, and IMO it's very stupid

that skimp on the power supply - never, ever go cheap onthe power supply, which is what your dad did

without a good PSU, that 6600gt pci-e won'tget enough power

i suggest you buy one of these 3 PSU's:
1. OCZ modstream 450W
2. OCZ modstream 520W
3. Fortron blue storm 500W

all can be found on www.newegg.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom