Need HELP! Weird system problem - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 08-04-2005, 01:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Need HELP! Weird system problem

Hello, im in need of some assistance if anyone knows whats wrong and how to help the problem please do. So the other day i DLed 'Spyware' and did a sweep, it came up with like 95 errors or something, so i deleted them not knowing what was going to everytime i start my comp after windows loads a small box appears and is titles :

Runner File Name (Updates from HP.EXE) lacks a '-' (the app id seperator)

so im assuming i did something wrong. thats prob #1
My next problem is my comps become a slug, its slower than my old comp for some reason from time to time today all day it was slow, right now its not bad...But i do a disc cleanup disc defrag every week or so, i also use Ad-Aware to clean up the comp...but for some reason my comps terrible slow at times even if im only running just a single program like AOL. when i hit the Alt Ctrl Del buttons my CPU Usage is always @ 100%...please if anyone know what i can do it would help me a whole lot... here are my system specs

HP Pavilion 3200+
1gb ddr sdram
200 gb hard drive (which i only used up to about 30%) so theres about 150% free space left
2.20 ghz processor

thanks again.

Old 08-04-2005, 08:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

HP.exe i am guessing was part of an ad program witch windows had set to load when windows boots up.

I am hoping you are on win xp if so go to:

run> enter msconfig> startup tab > and search the list for HP.exe if you find it untick the box on that line and click apply.

What ad removal program did you use?

i would suggest adaware and microsoft anti spy.

You might also have some registry erros so download a porgram called CC cleaner witch u can download free here:

download,install and run the program. Hit the little box saying "Issues" and then hit "scan for issues", fix all the problems found and restart and see if you still get the error.

i would also download and run those 2 ad removal programs and see if you system performance increases.

Old 08-04-2005, 11:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

im runnin adaware for ad removing, and the ? about whats hogging up the space its usually the Explorer process
Old 08-06-2005, 08:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

It would help if you can post a hijack log. It is best delete temp files and doing a disk cleanup before you defrag. Check out this link from Microsoft.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

i did what u said to do sprooty and it worked when i restarted though for a second time a window came up saying to undo what i just had done, (Which was to untick the Update from hp.exe box) so now im going to redo it and let you guys know what happened...thanks for all the help
Closed Thread