Need Help Selecting a PC Monitor - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 03:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Need Help Selecting a PC Monitor

Need help!

I need a monitor for:

- Gaming
- Playing 1080p home made movies

What is the best kind of monitor for that? What should I look for? Fast response time? LCD? LED?

Budget isn't awesome. 22' would be the size i'm after...

Cheers.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Need Help Selecting a PC Monitor

IPS is the newest and best screen for color.

I'm looking at this, myself: Newegg.com - ASUS ML239H Black 23" 5ms IPS Panel Full HD HDMI LED BackLight LCD Monitor LED Backlit LCD Monitor 250 cd/m2 ASCR 50,000,000:1 (3,000:1)

But, that is a bit steep. If you want something cheaper, get: Newegg.com - SAMSUNG B2330 Glossy Black 23" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 70,000:1 (1,000:1)

FYI- This is a LED

Simple mistake.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Okey dokey, so seeing as I can't order from Newegg :'(

I've found these two:

MSY - AOC 23.6" 2436VWH HD 5ms LCD Monitor

OR

MSY - ASUS 23.6" VH242H 5ms HD SPK, WS

Now onto the LED thing... I thought a monitor could be LED but not LCD or it could be LCD LED... As you say, easy mistake. Mind explaining the deal to me? I'll be shopping for a new TV in a couple of months and will need to understand at some point
Old 04-16-2011, 11:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Well, just to give you an idea...

I'd go with the ASUS, actually. Never used AOC.

I think that LEDs are in some old and new LCDs. It is what gives off the light. Don't quote me on that. Just like you, I never really paid attention to it.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lady Techie

Wikipedia has the info LED-backlit LCD television - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
An LED-backlight LCD television is an LCD TV that uses LED backlighting instead of the CCFLs used in traditional LCD televisions. It is not a true LED display but is called "LED TV" by some manufacturers.[1] The use of LED backlighting has a dramatic impact, resulting in a thinner panel, less power consumption and heat dissipation, and a brighter display with better contrast levels.

The LEDs can come in three forms:

Dynamic RGB LEDs which are positioned behind the panel
White Edge-LEDs positioned around the rim of the screen using a special diffusion panel to spread the light evenly behind the screen (the most common)
A full-array of LEDS which are arranged behind the screen but are incapable of dimming or brightening individually

LinkedIn Kiera Mitchell
Old 04-17-2011, 07:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Cheers, Yami.

Anyone heard anything about AOC? Seems like an el-cheapo alternative brand. Is there anything that makes the ASUS miles better than the AOC, apart from the brand name!
Old 04-17-2011, 07:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lady Techie

They're alright, they have some good stuff. There's not much reason not to go for them over Asus.

LinkedIn Kiera Mitchell
Old 04-17-2011, 09:14 AM   #8 (permalink)

I'm an ASUS freak, don't listen to me. :P
Old 04-18-2011, 07:22 AM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindoverMaster View Post
I'm an ASUS freak, don't listen to me. :P
Heheheh, that's why I asked. Nothing wrong with being a fan of a certain brand or product

Thanks Yami. Moar rep for you!

EDIT: ****... gotta spread it round... I'll be back!!!
Old 04-18-2011, 12:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

I used an AoC monitor once. Immediately dished it. They're cheap and you get what you pay for. It gives really shallow color, it's not very good. Everything is bright and whited out. Just think that you're going to be looking at it every time you're on your computer, so why buy cheap...

That being said it's extremely hard to see what a monitor will replicate for color when you're looking at them online, as the specs aren't comparable from one brand to the next, and since each panel is different and not always manufactured by the same company it's not the case that you can really compare the color replication of one monitor to another within the brand.

The things that you can count on being comparable are size, resolution, LED vs LCD, panel type (IPS, VA, TN, but that can be pretty tough to figure out, so just assume that in your price range it'll be a TN panel) and response time. Every other spec of the monitors you can essentially throw out because they're worth less than the time it took to enter it into the place's database. I'd go into you're local computer store, whatever you have around you, and just look around at the monitors, and pull up some webpages with lots of color and see which one looks the best, then go home and search for the best price online.

I think that's hands down the best way to shop for a monitor.

A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Closed Thread