Status
Not open for further replies.

-Tenk-

Baseband Member
Need help!

I need a monitor for:

- Gaming
- Playing 1080p home made movies

What is the best kind of monitor for that? What should I look for? Fast response time? LCD? LED?

Budget isn't awesome. 22' would be the size i'm after...

Cheers.

IPS is the newest and best screen for color.

I'm looking at this, myself: Newegg.com - ASUS ML239H Black 23" 5ms IPS Panel Full HD HDMI LED BackLight LCD Monitor LED Backlit LCD Monitor 250 cd/m2 ASCR 50,000,000:1 (3,000:1)

But, that is a bit steep. If you want something cheaper, get: Newegg.com - SAMSUNG B2330 Glossy Black 23" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 70,000:1 (1,000:1)

FYI- This is a LED
led_thru-hole.jpg

Simple mistake. ;)

Well, just to give you an idea...

I'd go with the ASUS, actually. Never used AOC.

I think that LEDs are in some old and new LCDs. It is what gives off the light. Don't quote me on that. Just like you, I never really paid attention to it.

Wikipedia has the info LED-backlit LCD television - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

An LED-backlight LCD television is an LCD TV that uses LED backlighting instead of the CCFLs used in traditional LCD televisions. It is not a true LED display but is called "LED TV" by some manufacturers.[1] The use of LED backlighting has a dramatic impact, resulting in a thinner panel, less power consumption and heat dissipation, and a brighter display with better contrast levels.

The LEDs can come in three forms:

Dynamic RGB LEDs which are positioned behind the panel
White Edge-LEDs positioned around the rim of the screen using a special diffusion panel to spread the light evenly behind the screen (the most common)
A full-array of LEDS which are arranged behind the screen but are incapable of dimming or brightening individually

Cheers, Yami.

Anyone heard anything about AOC? Seems like an el-cheapo alternative brand. Is there anything that makes the ASUS miles better than the AOC, apart from the brand name!

They're alright, they have some good stuff. There's not much reason not to go for them over Asus.

I used an AoC monitor once. Immediately dished it. They're cheap and you get what you pay for. It gives really shallow color, it's not very good. Everything is bright and whited out. Just think that you're going to be looking at it every time you're on your computer, so why buy cheap...

That being said it's extremely hard to see what a monitor will replicate for color when you're looking at them online, as the specs aren't comparable from one brand to the next, and since each panel is different and not always manufactured by the same company it's not the case that you can really compare the color replication of one monitor to another within the brand.

The things that you can count on being comparable are size, resolution, LED vs LCD, panel type (IPS, VA, TN, but that can be pretty tough to figure out, so just assume that in your price range it'll be a TN panel) and response time. Every other spec of the monitors you can essentially throw out because they're worth less than the time it took to enter it into the place's database. I'd go into you're local computer store, whatever you have around you, and just look around at the monitors, and pull up some webpages with lots of color and see which one looks the best, then go home and search for the best price online.

I think that's hands down the best way to shop for a monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom