Need Help with a SATA hub

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denise_M

In Runtime
Hi,

I have Windows XP Pro x64.

I bought a SATA hub. SATA HUB 5-Port Multiplier using Sil 3726 Chip

Since I have SiI3124 and it requires an SiI3726 chip/firmware, I downloaded the SiI3726 firmware zip file (SiI-SW-0056_3726_0114) and the update (3726FwDownload) from Silicon Image. At this site, it says "This SiI3726 firmware provides the latest microcode for SiI3726 port multiplier. Before you upgrade the SiI3726 microcode, download 3726 Firmware Download Utility and review the release notes within the utility zip file." I couldn't find the 3726 Firmware Download Utility.

Silicon Image - Support | Search Results

I don't know how to get it to "download it from a Windows XP command prompt" as it says in the readme:

========================================
Release notes for the 3726 Firmware Download Utility

Version: 1.3

Date: 03/10/06

This utility is used to download firmware the 3726 SteelVine port multiplier processor from a Windows XP command prompt.
This utility does not require the SteelVine Daemon or any special drivers to access the 3726 SteelVine port multiplier
processor from the host. This utility will not download firmware to the 47xx SteelVine processors.

The following describes the usage and available commands:

3726FwDownload.exe <Mode> <Device> <FW Filename>

Mode:
-i Display Chip revision and EEPROM FW version
-w Download the FW, display the Chip revision and EEPROM FW version
Device:
-d1 to -dn
FW Filename:
The firmware filename <.bin format>
========================================

It's supposed to have native SATA connection to host and devices. When I connected it to a port on my SATA controller card and connected an eSATA hdd and turned the drive on, it wasn't recognized in My Computer. When I tried to Add New Hardware, the choice for the HUB isn't in the list and the Wizard search didn't find it either. It also isn't listed in Device Manager.

When I unzipped the file using WinZip, it opened the file and when I clicked on the icon, the black DOS box opens for a second and then closes.

Any and all help will be more than appreciated.

A new thread is not needed when you have the same question already open. Just bump the topic up after 24 hours.

The reason there is no answer cause no one knows. Have you contacted the manufacturer for support from them?

Mak

Yes, I contacted the manufacturer and did an RMA. The second hub didn't work either. They asked me to send it back to them along with my controller card. Someone else mentioned that my EEPROM might be empty and I might need an EEPROM programmer, which costs big bucks. I know nothing about EEPROMs.

I figured this out though . . . 3726FwDownload.exe <Mode> <Device> <FW Filename>

When I tried to install the firmware (put it on a floppy disk first), I went into Run > cmd > a:

At the A:\, I typed 3726FwDownload.exe -d1<name of file>. It said I used the wrong syntax so I tried different combinations using spaces and leaving out the 1 (-d instead of -d1) but none of them worked. When I tried it with -i (Display Chip revision and EEPROM FW version), it said that I used the wrong syntax again. I tried mode also, but received "wrong syntax." It could be because of my hardware. That's the only conclusion that I can come up with. I can't afford $1,000 for an EEPROM programmer to install the firmware.

Maybe you or someone can help me with this. At the file download site for SiI3726 Firmware Update Utility, it says

"This SiI3726 Firmware Update Utility for Windows XP is a command based utility that enables SiI3726 firmware upgrade. To upgrade, connect one or more hard disk drive to the SiI3726. Use the device manager to identifier the Disk # associated with the SiI3726 hosted hard disk drive. The # must then be noted with the "-d" parameter when calling this utility."

I have 17 external hard drives (6 of them are SATA). How will I know which drive is which in Device Manager so that I can give the # with the -d parameter? Even when all the ext hdds are turned off, they're listed in Device Manager. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom