Need help with RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antihero26

Beta member
So I am looking to upgrade my computers performance with putting more RAM in it. Currently I have 256 MB of RAM. I am probably going to get 512 MB more and put it in with it. I have 3 slots and currently 1 is being used. My PC can hold up to a maximum of 1 Gig. of RAM. Would the 256 MB and 512 MB go over a Gig? (sorry kind of new to RAM and dont know how many MB are in a Gig. ) Also, how would I increase the amount of RAM my PC can have? Thanks ;)

ok first off 1gb of ram is equal to 1024mb of ram (if you care: 2 to the 10th factorial, its binary, hence 256 is 2^8 and 512 is 2^9) if you have three slots and you plan on getting 512 more that would give you 768mb of ram so not quite a GB. So to answer your question about your mobo, you should be fine. As for increasing the amt of ram your pc can have, you need to purchase a mobo which can take in more ram, these days 1gb of ram is very small for a mobo so you could purchase a 2gb max or even a 4gb max for relatively cheap; if your pockets are limited.
Hope this helped.

Your motherboard either supports 768mb or 1.5gb not 1gb. If the dimms can only read 256 sticks then its 768. If your dimms can read 1 512 stick then 3 512's - 1.5gb. Got me? Make sure your motherboard can handle a 512 stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom