Need help! Need a port open!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, well here's the short, short version as I am about to run out and get a Christmas tree....
If you have a DSL modem and if you also have a router in between the modem and your PC then....
In order to "open" ports for games and applications you will need a router. The router will have an interface to which you log into and assign certain port numbers to certain internal IP addresses. The first thing you need to do is find out the IP address for your PC.
Goto Start > Run > type "command" and hit enter.
At the DOS prompt type "ipconfig" and hit enter.
If you already have a router, then your IP address should be listed here. If you do not have a router, your IP address will appear here but will look a little different. You don't necessarily need a router to "open" ports. You can also use a software firewall and then open ports through the software.

-Michael

nice info mike, i want to add that if your computer is connected directly to the modem you are completely exposed to the internet. this means you do not need to open any ports. if you have winXP firewall on you have to disable it in your network card's advanced properties.

you have disabled firewall or have open the port on the firewall? i don't see an image either.

Sicilianmandoli you may be leading us to the wrong problem. it may be the game that is not working or configured properly.

no game that i know of would require you to open a port to play online.where did you get this advice from? if you were hosting a game server would you need to open ports.

what game are you trying to play and what errors are you receiving? this will help people with your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom