Need help installing two hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

s001dxp

Beta member
Hello:

I have two computer. One is not working, but I'm able to get to the c prompt and access information.

I want to take this hard drive out (HD1), and put it into my working computer. I then want to copy the info from the hard drive (HD1) to the the hard drive (HD2) in the working computer.

The working system is running Win Xp home
The other is run Win 98.

I have already put the HD1 in the working system, set the jumpers to slave--and the computer is reading the HD1.

But it stops just short of loading windows. It gets through the boot process, but does not go to windows.

I unhooked HD1, and the computer boots and loads windows as it should.

What should I do from this point.
1.) I want to copy the info from HD1 to HD2.

Thanks,

Port

I'm guessing you don't want to copy the entire harddrive 1 onto harddrive 2, as that would require partitioning the drive and you would end up with a dual boot system. You should hook up the 2nd HD again and check your bios to make sure it is identifying it correctly.

The bios is reading it correctly. It is reading HD2 as the Primery and HD1 as the slave.

Port

Try switching the drives around and booting with 98 and then copying everything over on the xp HD. I hear 98 insists on being the first boot on the first drive

Everything works now. The jumper on the Primary HD was set wrong. I switched it to the correct setting and the second drive is showing up.

Thank You for your help.

Port

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom