Need help with enabling AGP please - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 10-15-2004, 09:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to KaperS
Default Need help with enabling AGP please

Rescently i just bought and built my first computer, it is shown below in my sig but there is something i can't get. I've looked everywhere in my bios and there is no place where i can enable 8x agp. I am positive both my mobo and my vid card support it so i'm not sure what to do. The only setting that i see that relates to agp is where it says agp port. The choices are agp/pci or pci/agp, I set it to agp/pci. Everyone says there should be an options that says enable 8x agp but i don't see it anywhere, I've consulted my mobo manual but i don't see it in there either. In my monitoring program, (eida32) it says agp is disabled so. Any help is appreciated.

Old 10-15-2004, 10:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I had a look at this the other day and i found the AGP enable option in the advanced chipset features in the BIOS. Otherwise Check for BIOS updates and this may solve your problem.

Old 10-15-2004, 11:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

What drivers are u using? Did you check smartgart (in the catalyst control center?) It will show you what your AGP settings are currently set to. Make sure you update your chipset drivers, thats my guess as to what the problem is.
My rig:
P4 3.0 Northwood oc\'d to 3.6
Zalman Alu-Cu hsf
Asus p4p800e-dlx mobo
1 GB (2x512) pc-3200 OCZ performance series rev. 3 Ram (2-3-3-6)
ATI Radeon X800 Pro
Arctic ATI Silencer 4
Raidmax Scorpio case
Creative Labs Audigy2 ZS Gamer edition
2x74gb WD Raptor, Raid 0
Windows XP pro w/ SP2
Sony 19\" LCD (SDM-HS95)
Logitech MX-1000
Old 10-15-2004, 04:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Normally you don't have to set the speed in the BIOS man. Just right click your desktop, go to properties, then click the settings tab, then click advanced, when that pops up you should see a tab that has your graphics card name on it. click that tab and it'll show you the info for your card and it should tell you how much memory it's got on it and what speed it's at. In my BIOS the settings for AGP I can only set the AGP transfer speed to 4x, but my card is actually running 8x and I can see this by looking at the tab I told you to look for. It'll tell you what speed your card is running at.

Alternatively you could download SiSoftware Sandra and it too would tell you how fast your card was running.
Old 10-15-2004, 04:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

If AGP isn't enabled the video card properties should read PCI Bus. You can also go into RUN and type DXDIAG, and it will tell you if you have AGP Textures available. Most likely you have old chipset drives as mentioned before.
ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe
Intel Core i7 2600k
16GB DDR3 G-Skill Ripjaws
1TB 7200 Segagte Drive
eVGA GeForce 570
Samsung Blu-Ray Drive
Antec 850 Watt PSU
Windows 7 Professional
Closed Thread