Need Help for Computer Upgradation

Status
Not open for further replies.

mumbaindude

Beta member
Hi, I am a ballet dancer/choreographer and wish very much to create my own high quality showreel DVDs

and demo CD's... (I'm also a game freak, though I am sure both purposes require the same sort of

configuration)...

I am upgrading the following configuration mainly out of the need for a faster and more efficient processing of

videos and video editing with applications like Adobe Premiere Pro and WinDVD Creator.

Current Configuration:
Mother Board - Intel Original D850MV
Processor - Intel P4 1.6 Ghz
Ram - 512MB RD Ram
Video Card - GeForce2 MX 64MB
HD - 80 GB + 160 Seria ATA
CD Rom - LG 52x Rom
CD RW - LG 48x-52x-48x
Cabinet - No name brand, 300 watt power supply and 2 fans...

PLEASE HELP ME OUT!!! I am boggled by all the various combos; I went to a somewhat reliable computer

dealer and he gave me the following choices of configurations:

Proposed Configurations:
Mother Board - Asus P4 C800 Deluxe OR Asus A8V Deluxe
Processor - Intel P4 3.0 Ghz OR AMD Athalon 3.0 Ghz
Ram - 512MB DDR 400 x 2 = 1 GB
Video Card - ATI (Club 3D) Radeon 9800XT 256 MB
HD - 120 Serial ATA + 120 Serial ATA
CD Rom - Sony DVD Rom 16x
CD RW - Sony DVD RW 8xDVDRW-40xCDRW-16xDVDRead-48xCDRead
Firewire - Included on the mother board(s)
Video Capture - Plexior ConvertX
Cabinet - Amtec SLR 3700

I already have a LAN and Modem, and the two motherboards have on-board Firewire and LAN...

Sooooooooooooooooooo... WHAT DO I DO??? I've always been told to trust only Intel Originals, but he said that AMD offers higher performance at lower cost... which I countered with the argument that Intel doesn't overheat and there is a much smaller chance of CPU burn-out. I am so totally confounded, and I am trying my best to understand everything that I am getting into.

Taking into account the reason for which I need this computer upgrade, could anyone here fill me in on what it is I should be looking for? Is the configuration that the wholesaler gave me what I need? Should I be looking for something else? Will this heavy duty purchase be the answer to what I NEED???

PLEASE HELP ME,
Confounded...

P.S. Thanks in advance to the kind soul(s) who help me... :eek:)

1) How much are you paying for that setup.
2) AMD is better for gaming and also bettervalue
3) Do you have a pricerange
4) It's allways cheaper to build/get someone to build it for u for free
5) the 9800xt is too expensive right now, go for a 9800pro or the 6800 128mb.anything above that is better.

Yeah, I would recommend a AMD 64 since with video editing and various things, having a good processor is important. But knowing the price range you have to work with would help a lot. I also agree that the 9800 pro is plenty for anything you would need to do unless you want to play the very latest games really well.

P.S. there is no such thing as an AMD 3.0 ghz, i don't know if you just forgot the number and put that to show an equal level AMD for the P4 or if the guy told you that, because if he did then I wouldn't take any more advise from him :)

I got to agree with BRoWZ.

The AMD 64 platform is much better equiped for heat issues, so you shouldn't worry to much about your chips burning up. they are much cheaper and are 64 bit ready for the next class of operating systems/software.

As for intel, thier MTB's have a three year warranty and offer very good quality, might be a bit higher in price, and are not very good for overclocking.

Other than that it's all in what you can afford, and what you are capable of (can you build a PC or not?). Thats a nice system they quoted you, and should do accomplish everything you asked for.

You say you are a game freak? DON'T get a 9800XT right now. That is not a very good card for the money that its running for. Get either the 9800 Pro, or if you wanna go all out, a 6800GT/Ultra or X800XT P.E. would be great.

"Sooooooooooooooooooo... WHAT DO I DO??? I've always been told to trust only Intel Originals, but he said

that AMD offers higher performance at lower cost... "

This is very true. An AMD processor has a far higher rating in graphics/games than Intel probably ever will. So, yes, as the others said, go for AMD.

"P.S. there is no such thing as an AMD 3.0 ghz, i don't know if you just forgot the number and put that to show an equal level AMD for the P4 or if the guy told you that, because if he did then I wouldn't take any more advise from him"

I'm not sure on how high the frequency is on the FX-55 CPU from AMD (best o' the best) but I know it ain't no 3Ghz. It's like 2.6Ghz, I think.

"You say you are a game freak? DON'T get a 9800XT right now. That is not a very good card for the money that its running for. Get either the 9800 Pro, or if you wanna go all out, a 6800GT/Ultra or X800XT P.E. would be great."

I concure with beedubaya. Do it.

for what yo want to do, I suggest:
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ socket 939
Asus A8V Deluxe motherboard
Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT 128MB
2x512MB PC3200 DDRRAM from Corsair or Kingston
keep the 80GB and 160GB HDD's and use them in your new computer
Pioneer 108D DVD±R/RW 16xDVD-R/4xRW, 16xDVD+R/4xRW, 4x Dual Layer DVDR, 32xCD-R/RW
Case: nothing cheap, cheap cases usually have cheap Power Supplies and can damage or kill your parts

what is your budget on this computer anyway?

Thanks Everyone... Here's my budget :eek:)

Hey ya'll, those of you who have answered so far I wanna thank you for your invaluable advice!

Okay then, I'm sorry I forgot to mention the budget and well, it is pretty medium at around US$950. That would have been a really good amount anywhere else but here, that is, here in India many of the items are imported and so the actual cost has to cover duty fees and such like so... well that makes the actual spending amount somewhere around US$850 for the CPU and some US$500 for the graphics card (which I will get to later in this post).

I hope that this info will make things clearer for all of you :eek:)

I know that one of you has mentioned that it is, could you explain a little more about what I was hearing of this over-heating issue and the solutions for it?

Also, as mentioned in my first post, my original configuration is going to be traded-in and the retailer said he will give me a US$220 discount on my purchase when I give him the following - is that a fair amount to expect for it?

Intel Original D850MV Motherboard
Intel P4 1.6 GHZ Processor
512 MB RAM
80 GB Hardisk Non-SATA
GeForce2MX 64MB NVidia Grapics Card
Cabinet with auto-shut off and 300w power supply
52x LG CDRom

OK, what I still can't get is why the AMD64 is considered more graphics friendly than the Intel P4 3Ghz when it is DEFINITELY less in bandwith (the AMD 64 3200 being around 2.8Ghz right?)... This is a little baffling for me cause I had mentioned the Intel to him when I first talked to him about trading-in my old stuff and he immediately advised me with the AMD system. Personally speaking, I was a bit skeptical and felt a bit suspicious that he was simply trying to sell off the material he already had in stock... LoL. So, I am still tackling with the indesicion of which processor to go for.

By the way, two last things:

I went ahead and bought the "9800XT 256MB DDR" of a "recognised ATI partner" called Club-3D, which I have looked up and verified on the ATI homepage before asking for advice (stupid me). The card cost me US$428 and seemed fine except for two things:

1) The card DOES NOT HAVE video capture capabilities - big BUMMER, but the cost of an ASUS 9800PRO (which DOES have the video capture capability but is slower in speed and has only 128MB DDR and 128-bit memory interface - whatever that is)... Over here it is US$700 which is why the retailer told me to stick to the Club-3D 9800XT and to get an external video capture device. Both options cost the same but in my heart I'd rather own an ASUS cause I've heard that name more often and it is considered to be reliable... Yet another big question mark for me - Is he giving me sound advice here as well???

2) My system immediately slowed down after installing it the 9800XT. The retailer told me that the slowdown and hanging is being caused by my relatively low power supply of 300watts - IS THIS TRUE??? If so, would a larger power supply be the answer to this hanging issue or is the card at fault???

Well, that's it for now, I hope that this info will help everyone in understanding my problem and helping me solve it. Thats it for now, thanks a MILLION to those who have written in to my post so far (and another thank you if you read all the way to this line!)!!!

Sincerely,
Anand :eek:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom