Need A HeatSink/Fan Suggestion - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 11:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Need A HeatSink/Fan Suggestion

I need to pick a new cpu heatsink and fan. I live in muggy hot florida, in a house with bad airconditioning and bad insulation. One of the computers in my house has an amd xp 3000 processor and is being cooled by a coolermaster with 3600 rpm . Still, my temps rarely get lower than 52c idle, and often reach 58-60c during load.

Obvious precautions are now being made: I'm installing the computer in a cabinet with customized fan coolers installed in the shelf itself. In addition i've installed an airconditioner in the room where the pc is (the central air unit is a piece of garbage).

The room temp plays a great deal in this. If it's a hot day (just about every day in florida) then the cpu temp is high (54c-56c idle). On special days, cloudy days or rainy days, with the ac on, it might be at 50c if i'm lucky. I'm looking to replace the coolermaster with a more powerful fan capable of more rotations per minute, and preferrably more air volume.

Can anyone out there suggest a different model? How good is the ThermalQuake Volcano?? I'd prefer something around 5000 rpm.

Old 12-29-2004, 12:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

If your idle temperatures are that high I'd recommend you look into some water cooling rather than just fans alone.

eVGA 8800GTS 320MB / eVGA 6800GS 256MB
150GB Raptor / 74GB Raptor
2x500GB / 320GB
OCZ GameXStreme 850w / OCZ StealthXStream 600w
Old 12-31-2004, 05:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

Yeah, i thought about that, but then we're getting into case modification and what not. What a pain.
Old 12-31-2004, 06:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to Alex81388

ThermalTake Extreme Volcano 12+, But you did say it is in your room, the fan never goes below 5500rpm if you set it at high speed, but it is kinda noisy, But it should blow away your cooler master.
Old 12-31-2004, 06:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

Hmm. Thanks Alex, for your suggestions.

If i did consider going the way of the water cooler... what would you all suggest for an amdxp 3000 (Socket A)? Don't i also need to find out if my board has holes drilled for a cooler/cpu block gizmo? Heh... for lack of an appropriate verbiage.
Old 12-31-2004, 06:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

The ThermalTake 12+ keeps my computer below 51c During load. It is EXTREMELY loud however. Can hear it in the background while playing music through my Sennhieser Headphones...
Old 12-31-2004, 06:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Techie

I looked at a few watercoolers at newegg. Not bad. I need to find one compatible with a socket A, though.
Old 12-31-2004, 07:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Yon
True Techie

If you realy want it cool, get a vapochill system. I can't find it on new egg, but I've found it on this UK site just to give you an idea
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatal...l_Systems.html
Corsair 1GB XMS2-4300
Antec PlusView 1000AMG Case
Maxtor 160GB SATA Hard Drive
Old 12-31-2004, 08:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

That's probably the cheapest I've ever seen a vapochill, but still, I doubt he'll go that route. It's rather unpractical. Besides who needs -45C temps

::mumbles...I wish I had -45C temps ::
Old 01-01-2005, 05:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Techie

Heh. Yeah that's major overkill. If i wanted to go all out i would just buy a small air conditioner and install it in the cabinet that my computer actually resides in, which is something i did consider. I could easily vent all the cold air towards the computer enclosure (which i built to hold 4 units) and elminate my problems. I'd rather not install another airconditioner in this room (already have one in the window in addition to a faulty central air unit).

I might actually go ahead and get a watercooling system. I just need to figure out what i want to get and what price i want to pay. Of course... a window airconditioner would probably end up cheaper. Makes ya go Hmmmmmmm.