Need advice on new wireless router-

Status
Not open for further replies.

acerinpa

Fully Optimized
I think this is in the right section so here goes:

OK- this Dlink 655 is useless lately - about 1 year old and started dropped wireless signal every few hours a few weeks ago. I have been on the phone to Dlink 2 times and each time they were very nice and took me thru the setting screen - but of coarse the 2 techs completely disagreed on some of the settings to use.... hmmm . Guess what- neither of the new setting helped at all. Do these things just get old and fail?? Anyhow- need a wireless router that can get thru walls and into a basement and up a floor ( router is on main floor). Teenage boys have PS3/Xbox in their rooms ( one downstairs and one upstairs) and need a decent wireless signal. Suggestions and /or remedies appreciated. Willing to spend $150 on a new wireless router is necessary. Or should I get "boosters" in the basement and 2nd floor?

Ted

Are you sure that it is your router, not your wireless adapter? You didn't specify that.

Well, my Linksys WRT54GS dirt start failing after 6 years. The wireless was OK, just the ethernet ports weren't working to their potential.

I had a Netgear WNDR3700 that failed on me after about 6 months. Kept dropping connections, even on ethernat.

I now have a D-Link DGL-4500 for about 8 months, and it works like a champ.

So, you never can say how long these things last. I would just get a new one.

Yes- sure it is a wireless router problem. All laptops and game consoles fail at the same time. I unplug the router and plug it back in and " BAM" - the wireless works again. Also even when the wireless fails the wired PC's all continue to work properly. So you know it is not the Internet service provider. Te router worked great since I purchased it until recently - but now even when the wi -fi is working, it is weaker than it was - cant get signal in basement or 2nd floor anymore- but I used to be able to. So , something changes or happened to the router .....maybe the security updated or something and that screwed it up.

Yes the dlink 4500 is on my shortlist- but wow - I want to to work for more that a year- and the warranty is useless if the warranty "help techs" just kept going thru the same motions, I will be calling again today and asking for a new router. I will update you then.

Ah, OK, yeah, it sounds like your router is crapping out. I had the same problem with my Netgear. Wireless just wasn't working as it once did.

Tried the update on the firmware- no change. Also had my son use a wireless adapter on his laptop downstairs instead of the build-in and that worked a bit better. SO, need to find a good wireless router- suggestions welcome. Need at least 4 wired ports. Best wireless coverage possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom