Need advice on new wireless router- - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Default Need advice on new wireless router-

I think this is in the right section so here goes:

OK- this Dlink 655 is useless lately - about 1 year old and started dropped wireless signal every few hours a few weeks ago. I have been on the phone to Dlink 2 times and each time they were very nice and took me thru the setting screen - but of coarse the 2 techs completely disagreed on some of the settings to use.... hmmm . Guess what- neither of the new setting helped at all. Do these things just get old and fail?? Anyhow- need a wireless router that can get thru walls and into a basement and up a floor ( router is on main floor). Teenage boys have PS3/Xbox in their rooms ( one downstairs and one upstairs) and need a decent wireless signal. Suggestions and /or remedies appreciated. Willing to spend $150 on a new wireless router is necessary. Or should I get "boosters" in the basement and 2nd floor?

Ted

Old 04-14-2012, 10:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Need advice on new wireless router-

Are you sure that it is your router, not your wireless adapter? You didn't specify that.

Well, my Linksys WRT54GS dirt start failing after 6 years. The wireless was OK, just the ethernet ports weren't working to their potential.

I had a Netgear WNDR3700 that failed on me after about 6 months. Kept dropping connections, even on ethernat.

I now have a D-Link DGL-4500 for about 8 months, and it works like a champ.

So, you never can say how long these things last. I would just get a new one.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Yes- sure it is a wireless router problem. All laptops and game consoles fail at the same time. I unplug the router and plug it back in and " BAM" - the wireless works again. Also even when the wireless fails the wired PC's all continue to work properly. So you know it is not the Internet service provider. Te router worked great since I purchased it until recently - but now even when the wi -fi is working, it is weaker than it was - cant get signal in basement or 2nd floor anymore- but I used to be able to. So , something changes or happened to the router .....maybe the security updated or something and that screwed it up.

Yes the dlink 4500 is on my shortlist- but wow - I want to to work for more that a year- and the warranty is useless if the warranty "help techs" just kept going thru the same motions, I will be calling again today and asking for a new router. I will update you then.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ah, OK, yeah, it sounds like your router is crapping out. I had the same problem with my Netgear. Wireless just wasn't working as it once did.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

I had a linksys that started dropping out, updated the firmware on it and got a few more years out of it
Old 04-16-2012, 08:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Tried the update on the firmware- no change. Also had my son use a wireless adapter on his laptop downstairs instead of the build-in and that worked a bit better. SO, need to find a good wireless router- suggestions welcome. Need at least 4 wired ports. Best wireless coverage possible.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

How far is your router from locations that your kids use? Is your wireless devices use G or N? Because N has a wider band.

IEEE 802.11 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Out of stock, but this what I use.

D-Link DGL-4500 Xtreme N Selectable Dual Band Gaming Router - 300Mbps, 802.11n, 4-Port, Gigabit at TigerDirect.com
Old 04-16-2012, 09:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Monster Techie

current router - Dlink655= N. Got one kid 25 feet and one story down and anther kid 25 feet and one story up. The tiger direct , buy.com both sold out for under $100. Amazon has it for like $180= ouch!!

How about this one- never heard of this Company= http://www.compusa.com/applications/...337&CatId=2668
Old 04-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #9 (permalink)

I wouldn't trust off-brands. I would stay with Linksys/Cisco, D-Link, Netgear, TP-Link.

I can recommend you this one too. Newegg.com - NETGEAR WNDR3700-100NAS Wireless Gigabit Router/ USB port Rangemax 2.4/5GHz Simultaneous N600 Dual Band 802.11a/b/g/n

I had that one and crapped out on me, but, meh, every product has a few bad ones. My friend has one, too. He had it for a good 3 years and never had a problem.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Monster Techie

How about this set up?

NETGEAR NETGEAR N600 Wireless Dual-Band Gigabit Router (WNDR3800) with NETGEAR Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender (WN3000RP) : Networking - Wireless & Wired | Dell

Closed Thread