Need advice for computer upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Goran

Beta member
Hi.

I intend to upgrade my computer with some new snazzy hardware and would like to get some advice/recommendations before I purchase the parts.

This is what I am thinking about buying:

Motherboard:
Asus K8V K8T800 Socket754 ATX

CPU:
AMD Athlon64 3200+

CPU fan:
Zalman ZM-7000A-CU

Ram:
2x Kingston KVR400X64C3A/512 PC3200

DVD-Burner:
NEC ND-2510

Power Supply:
Enermax 460W

And these parts I keep from my old rig:

Harddrives:
120GB WD
40GB WD

Video card:
Sapphire Radeon 9700

Sound card:
SB Live! Platinum

CD-burner:
NEC NC-7700

Will the Power supply do for the new system?

I checked my new might-be system with http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/ and it seem to work out; a 401 W recommeded minimum against the 460 W of the Enermax PSU, and with no plans for further hardware expansion. Though the site does not list the wattage needed for the AMD64 CPU:s, I used the most power-consuming processor I could find. Do anyone know what power a AMD64 requires?

Also, what other PSU brands known for quality (reliability/low noise)? I have an Antec, Aspire or an Enhance PSU in mind as second choice, but I do not know how reliable these are.

Thankful for any response.

Looks good, but isn't Kingston KVR ram for notebook? I could be wrong though.

I think you can upgrade your video card to 9800 pro or xt

460W is good for your specs

go with a thermaltake truepower 480 watt or a 450+ watt antec. enermax power supplies arent that good, and for that computer you dont want to cheap out.

Do they even sell 9700 Pro anymore:p Go with a 9800 Pro atleast, IMO:confused:

Whats with the 2 HD's? If you plan on running them in RAID-0, don't expect a huge performance gain:confused: If I were you and I didn't need all 160gb's of space I would think about getting a nice 74gb 10,000rpm HD;)

Thanks for all the advice so far, people!

Looks like I'm going for a Antec Truepower 480W instead of the Enermax PSU, and maybe something else for CPU cooling. The OCZ memory goes at more then twice the price of the Kingston, so I think I'll stay with the less expensive alternative there.

As for HDs & video card I'm rather satisfied with what I've got, no need for upgrading there.

Sewerbeing: my case is an Compucase LX-6A21, came with a 300W HEC-300LR-PT from Herolchi. I've added two ADDA 80mm fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom