is my vid card fried?

Status
Not open for further replies.

derfist

In Runtime
about 3 months ago, my bro n i opened up my com to install sumthing n saw that a lot of dust had been accumulated on the vid card n so v took it out to clean it n saw that the fan on it had been broken n it wasn't werkin anymore. but the thing is i don't know from when it was broken. it could b from many months b4. so now, my vid card has no cooling capabilities. when i play normal games like NFSUG n some other 3d games, after abt 10 mins, the graphics become distorted. i opened up my com again n felt the metal part that was surrounding d fan n well, it BURNT my finger. is my vid card gonna die soon?

Your video card is getting say too hot. Get a new heatsink/fan combo for it and you should be fine. I shudder at the thought of running a 9800 Pro with no cooling capabilities.

yeah as long as when you are simply on the desktop and you don't see a distorted image, then the card isn't fried yet, but when you start playing games it's obviously heating up WAY too much and going past it's limitations at which point since it's getting so hot it displays the distortions.

You can order another fan to put in it .I would do that ASAP thats to good of a card to let die . Ive even taken a 3500 RPM fan off of a hard drive cooler kit there like 2x2x1/2 in size .Remove the old fan and Splice the replacement fan wires into the existing socket .Then find the correct length and size screws and fasten it to the heatsink makeing sure its centered close the original .
It will cool better than ATI`s fans will but you will lose 1 PCI slot.

ok guyz, thanks 4 d replies. first of all, i'm not using a 9800 pro. my sig is just my future plan. i'm only using a MX440. its not even werth getting a new heatsink/fan 4 it n i might as well get a new vid card. so i'll just probably install a 80mm fan at d bak so that it can draw d heat frm it. if that doesn't werk, then i'll just let it die n get a better card. thanks again. if u've other suggestions, pls reply.

ive purchased theLeadtek lines of the 6800 ultra / FX5950 Ultra / Ti 4600 Ultra they have never failed / great performance / excellent cooling / highly recomended :) .

I would suggest an eVGA 6800GT. It is very easily overclockable to Ultra speeds, so its really a waste of money for a 6800 Ultra when the GT is so easily overclockable.

eVGA is the best brand to get a 6800 card but the only ard worth it is the gt cos the stock is alot slower and the ultra is highly over priced when a gt can get to that speed anyhow with stock cooling becuase evga uses the same heatsink fan combo on both

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom