My system keeps resetting, HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dean66

In Runtime
Two weeks ago, after restarting my computer, my system would just hang after the XP splash screen. It would take 5 to 10 minutes to just load the windows desktop. I tried restarting it countless times with the exact same results. I decided to reformat my hardrive and start all over. During the reformat, my PSU just died. It was a cheap one that was packaged with my $40 case. I ended up ordering an Enlight 420W PSU from Newegg.com. After installing it, I reformatted the hardrive again, and the computer began hanging after the XP splash screen again.

I went into the BIOS and changed the CDROM to the 1st boot device, and this seemed to take care of the problem. My system had been working flawlessly until last night.

Last night I turned it on and the system kept resetting after the XP splash screen. It wouldn't get to the WELCOME screen to load windows. It just kept rebooting and it took me to a screen with "safe mode" options. I tried those and got the same results. I used my Roxio GoBack program that's available before windows boots to revert my hard drive to an earlier day when everything was working fine. It seemed to work and everything was working fine. I even tried resetting the system a couple of times to make sure that it would load again, and it did. Well, this morning I booted up again and the computer again wouldn't get past the XP splash screen. I reverted the hard drive again and again it seemed to work OK. I turned the computer off for a few hours and when I turned it back on tonight, the same thing happened. I'm getting sick of this!!!!

I hope it's not my PSU, being that it's brand new. I've heard a lot of good things about this model. The only other thing I can think of is possibly the motherboard. Could it be going?

My system includes:

P4 2.4 Ghz CPU @400
ECS P4vxasd2+ MOBO
2 x 512 PC2100 RAM
BTC 16x DVDrom
BTC 40x12x48 CDRW
Nvidia 128 AGP video
Win XP Pro
AMI Bios

I've had this system running fine for well over a year now.

Any help would really be appreciated.

Anybody??? I know my explanation is long, I just wanted to give everybody complete facts.

Question about your hardware. Did you have all of this hardware installed in this system for a year or has something been recently added?

-Mike

All the hardware is the same, the only new thing is the PSU. I just tested it again with the side case off so I could look at everything, and I noticed that all fans were working properly. When I booted the system up, it hung again after the XP splash screen before resetting, but this time I noticed that when it reset there seemed to be an audible power surge near the HDD. I could definitely hear something.

However, the problems started before I replaced my old PSU.

maybe the PSU might have "injured" or "killed" one of your parts when it died
try these:
* did you scan for viruses?
* did you try safe mode?
- if safe mode gets you in try these:
* see if removing startup items in msconfig will help
* it might be an error prefetching something on boot, so maybe remove prefetching on some programs using the registry will help

Well,

I ended up reformatting the hard drive once again. Everything seems to be fine, so we'll see what happens. Thanks for everyone's responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom