My PC restarts when I'm downloading large files

Status
Not open for further replies.

stiga_23

Beta member
Hey guys, need help on this one...
my pc restarts when i'm trying to download a large file or when it takes quite some time in downloading files. what could be the cause of this?
i'm using winxp pro w/ sp1 installed, plus a firewall zap.
hope you could shed some light on this matter.
thanks!

Most likely there is a system error that is causing the reboot. First thing you need to do is disable "autoreboot on error" from the control panel. I don't remember exactly how to do it (I currently am using Win98 and 2K) but I do know that it's listed in the XP help database. Just do a search on the database for error reboot and you should be able to find it.

Once that is clear, you can find out exactly what is causing the dump. From there, it's a matter of doing a net search for the error codes. That should give you an idea as to exactly what is happening, and get an idea what may be causing it.

To give more info than that, it would help if you could post how you are connecting, who your ISP is, and what hardware you are using for connection.

I would say that might be possible, but it's restarting and not shutting down.. A power setting would just have it shut down..

Now the sleep mode suggestion may be worth looking into. If it is set to go into sleep mode it could very well cause it to seem like it's restarting or S.M. could be causeing a problem in and of itself (I've never had a PC that sleep mode worked properly..)

Alexander

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom