My note book will only work with battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard43

Beta member
Hi, I'm new here so please excuse my ignorance. I'm far from knowledgeable when it comes to computers but I am very handy in repairing most anything else-electrical,carpentry,automotive,etc.
Anyway, I have a Dell Inspiron 4150 notebook computer. Yesterday, I tried to network this computer with my desktop. It actually worked, after a couple of calls to Belkin. After about an hour and a half of trying my notebook out in the living room last night, I got a low battery warning, even though it was pluggen into the wall outlet.
I tried removing the battery and running it just off of AC, but it does nothing. I tried using another Dell AC adapter(from a friends notebook-it is a Dell but different model/year)but nothinng again. The light is on, on the adapters but notebook is dead. The only way it comes on is if I use the battery. Then it works fine but my battery is now about dead.
I took apart the notebook but I didn't know what to look for on the inside. Anyway it is back together and still not working. I did find a small cut on my original AC adapter, deep enough to view a small piece of the cable inside but it was small and I think, insignificant. And I did try the other adapter with no success.
Any ideas? Thanks very much in advance.

some of these cheaper computer companies laptops have been known to have these types of problems. It is usually a problem with the connection between where the ac adapter plugs in and the computer itself. Take it apart again and look if you can see any wires that are not connected around the ac plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom