my new card came in

Status
Not open for further replies.

r1c3_808

In Runtime
Ok.. My 6600GT just came in and i need to install it.
To install it i can either run Driver Clear to remove my ATI 9250 catalyst drivers, then switch the cards and run the cd that came with it. OR i can just skip driver cleaner then switch the cards and put in the install disk. The install disk that came with the 6600gt says that it has this ADM program (i think thats what its called) , that removes any older driver that it detects.

Is only running the ADM program to remove the old drivers safe enough? or do i have to use driver cleaer too??

PS- id rather not use Driver Cleaner since i barely understand how to use it.

Oh ya , if u dont know what driver cleaner is click here

I havent used drivercleaner, because i havent switched brands yet. If you dont want to use drivercleaner, then I would suggest going through add/remove programs and removing the drivers before you switch cards. I think it would be a bad idea to install the new card with the old drivers.

the computer will still work and i can still see the desktop and stuff after i remove the drivers right?

Yes the pc will still work with out the drivers. It will not be able to run a graphic intensive game, but it will be fine for windows and anything else.

the program to remove drivers on your drivers CD might be specifically for nvidia previous drivers though so I don't know how well it will remove the ATI ones.

I'd suggest you boot into windows in safe mode (press F8 before boot is generally the key I believe) and then run the driver removal program.

Driver cleaner would probably be the best though

why would you want to clear the drivers in the first place? The new device will use the new drivers, unless your talking about the default windows drivers, in that case, just reload them from a CD or w/e

Because having 2 different graphics drivers on a PC spells disiaster, espisally an ATI and Nvidia.

nm i got it .. it wasnt as hard as i thought it would be.
But i just have to say... the 6600GT ROCKS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom