My monitor with the xbox 360

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwaynesox

In Runtime
So my monitors native res is 1920X1200 and since 360 doesn't support that mode with the vga cable all my images are being stretched and generally look horrible. Atleast this is what a guy told me

"Ill tell you exactly why.

#1 that monitor (and yes it is a nice PC monitor) is 1920x1200 this is a 16x10 aspect ratio, so you are going to get some slight vertical stretching as the 360 can only display 4x3 and 16x9 aspect ratios. stretching pixels will give you some exagerated blockiness.

#2 that monitor is 1920x1200. the 360 natively displays at 1280x720 so even if you set the 360 to 1920x1080 all thats happening is the internal scaler is going to stretch the image to fit the display. and again stretching pixels will exagerate the blockiness. and if you set the picture to 1280x720 then the monitors scaler is going to do the stretching for you. its a lose/lose situation

if you want to get the best possible picture from your 360 youll need a monitor that is 1280x720 native. and then the smaller the better because the pixels are smaller so you see less "defects"

This monitor here

Gateway FPD1775W 17" Widescreen High Definition LCD

is true 720P this will give you the absolute highest quality pixel definition available. now the contrast ratio on this is lacking so your blacks will be slightly washed out. but for pure sharpness of picture this cant be beat.

if you have any question as to why this works this way, hook up your PC to that monitor and set the resolution to 800x600, see how eveything is fuzzy? thats your scaler at work. the 360 cannot adjust its display resolution on the fly like a PC can. and even a 1280x720 monitor wont cure all your woes because some games are displayed in funky "off resolutions"

like halo 3 which outputs at 640P they dont even make 640P monitors so youll never be able to get a perfect 1:1 picture for halo. sucks doesnt it. and i belive call of duty 3 and PGR3 are both 600P... even worse."

So anyways I was wondering if getting one of these boxes. Would help fix this problem. Progressive VGA Box

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom